1JZ burns oil after BC 264 install.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
Hey guys.
So I have had my car running for about 3 weeks now and it started to burn oil. I cant figure out what my problem is. The motor has been running perfect, not a single hiccup other then the oil being burnt. The smoke happens 2 different ways.
1: Free rev the motor and then on the way down around 1500-2000, rev it again and it will puff smoke.
2: When I let off throttle after being in boost the car will puff smoke.

This is definitely oil being burnt. I know what it looks like. It smells like oil and it has a bluish color to it.

MODS:
Brian Crower 264 cams.
Freshly rebuilt stock twins, done by BlaasPerformance.
HKS intake.
Full 3" exhaust.
PCV valve is not the original, it has been replaced.

I am thinking that this could be the valve seals. I am kicking myself in the ass now because I did not replace them when I did the cams.

What is causing my 1jz to burn oil?

Last edited:

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
New cams with higher lift can cause the valves to ride on the seals in a place they never have before. This "can" cause old seals to leak. Not to say that is the problem, but it could be. You may also want to look at the turbo's.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
suprarich;1726002 said:
You may also want to look at the turbo's.

The turbos have no more then 600km, I highly doubt that they are causing an issue. BlaastPerformance is a reputable turbo rebuild shop.

S.A. supra;1726025 said:
Look in your ic pipes.

If I were to find oil in the IC pipes do you figure this would be blow by through the PCV system? Turbo seals?

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
customs;1726037 said:
The turbos have no more then 600km, I highly doubt that they are causing an issue. BlaastPerformance is a reputable turbo rebuild shop.

Neither of those two statements have anything to do with the possibility that something in a turbo let go. Everyone knows its a possibility no matter how young the rebuild is or who did the work. You need to rule that out with real evidence other than "that's not possible" Just trying to help.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If there stock 1jz twins and still ceramic shafts they can go at any time rebuild or not. !jz twins retarded notorious for that.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
suprarich;1726281 said:
Neither of those two statements have anything to do with the possibility that something in a turbo let go. Everyone knows its a possibility no matter how young the rebuild is or who did the work. You need to rule that out with real evidence other than "that's not possible" Just trying to help.

I appoligize if that came across in a stern manner. What do you figure I should look at to inspect the turbos?

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
REPORT:

No oil was to be found anywhere in the IC piping. The shaft play on the turbos was what I would consider to be normal. It is less then when I first got them back from the rebuild and at that time they had not been primed with oil.

I also removed the hose that connects the intake to the exhaust side valve cover and routed it into a bottle of the valve cover and blocked off the intake.I ran the car for about 100KM with ZERO blow-by. This had no effect on the way the car burns oil.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Try taking the pcv valve hose off and plug it and see if thats the issue. Do you have a older or new 1jz? The older ones had a recall for the pcv valve.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
What do all 6 spark plugs look like? What does the inside of the downpipe look like? That may give you a clue as to the starting point of the oil burn.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
suprarich;1726945 said:
What do all 6 spark plugs look like? What does the inside of the downpipe look like? That may give you a clue as to the starting point of the oil burn.

Good call, I will check tonight. I replaced the plugs when I first got the motor running again.
The only thing about the downpipe is that the turbos smoked before hand and I did not clean out the inside of the downpipe.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
A Turbo can leak oil out the turbine side also while not leaking out the compressor side. So looking at the intercooler pipes alone does not rule out the turbos. This is why I mentioned the downpipe.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
It seems that when you are going through gears and letting off, is when you get the smoke. Could be the turbo, PCV or the high vacuum created in that situation could pull oil past the seals.

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
The things that makes me so certain is the puff of smoke at cold start up. I should have included it in the video, but it was an after thought. There is also no smoke at idle.

I already ruled the PCV system out of the equation by completely disconnecting it and venting it to air. This did not change how the car smoked.