1jz black smoke and bad idle

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
Zerocool;1769470 said:
Take off the FCD, its not safe to have on the car to begin with unless its been tuned for it.

Agreed I personally hate the damn thing but it's in there for now

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Keep in mind with those codes... you can trigger them if you unplug any sensors while the key is on. So don't chase after a code if you might have triggered it yourself. Clear them and run it again to see what codes come up without you touching anything under the hood.

Like was mentioned earlier, check the wiring near the O2 and crank sensor. If you weren't messing with the plugs for those sensors with the key on, then it sounds like they have wiring issues. Just look for water in the plugs or busted wires. Give the wires a light pull and see if they stay in the connectors, they could have been pulled off of the pins inside and still look ok at a glance. Also do this with the wiring along the harness. I've seen where someone poked pinholes in the wiring to test something and then the wire just corroded into green powder inside the harness where the hole was and it went unnoticed till a problem came up.

Also check the wiring back at the ECU plugs for the same problems.

FWIW... I just unplugged the 02 sensor on my car and it runs pretty decent, plus a little black smoke. The car will ignore the O2 sensor if it knows it's not there and will run on default fuel maps, which are close enough for the car to run and drive, but not good for fuel mileage or hard driving.

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
destrux;1769599 said:
Keep in mind with those codes... you can trigger them if you unplug any sensors while the key is on. So don't chase after a code if you might have triggered it yourself. Clear them and run it again to see what codes come up without you touching anything under the hood.

Like was mentioned earlier, check the wiring near the O2 and crank sensor. If you weren't messing with the plugs for those sensors with the key on, then it sounds like they have wiring issues. Just look for water in the plugs or busted wires. Give the wires a light pull and see if they stay in the connectors, they could have been pulled off of the pins inside and still look ok at a glance. Also do this with the wiring along the harness. I've seen where someone poked pinholes in the wiring to test something and then the wire just corroded into green powder inside the harness where the hole was and it went unnoticed till a problem came up.

Also check the wiring back at the ECU plugs for the same problems.

FWIW... I just unplugged the 02 sensor on my car and it runs pretty decent, plus a little black smoke. The car will ignore the O2 sensor if it knows it's not there and will run on default fuel maps, which are close enough for the car to run and drive, but not good for fuel mileage or hard driving.

Yea im gonna have to do some investigating cause I picked a used working map sensor from a good source induction performance (F&H performance) and a o2 sensor from a friend and im still getting the same codes 21(o2) & 31(map). Still running rich and back fires at 3-4k rpms

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
IBoughtASupra;1769848 said:
Did you ever check the wiring of the MAP sensor?

I have no idea which port it is I tried looking at a 1jz pinout but couldn't see a port for map or air flow meter? Do you know which port the map goes to on the ecu?

soso714

Oct 19, 2008
Anaheim, California
Well if ur using the jza70 harness it's the second smallest connector called W it's 2nd to the left or if ecu is properly mounted it should be the 2nd connected closest to the passenger direction once u have the knowledge of that connector look for these three colors - brown -drk blue with blk stripe and - light green with blk stripe check at ur map sensor connector that should be ur colors. If u leave the ecu connector W in the ecu this is the position of those pins pin# 1 vac Blue blk stripe pin# 2 vac light green pin# 9 intake manifold ground Brown that grounds a few sensors so just becareful with it u can use a T pin to back probe for checking ur ohms or volts when the keys in the on position or better check volts at sensor when running with using the t pin to back probe the connector at the sensor to assure that it is a good sensor should be at 5 volts around idle and go up as u raise Rpms

soso714

Oct 19, 2008
Anaheim, California
Before anything pull the efi main relay leave it for a good minute than put it back start the car try to get it to come across the back fire after that happens turn it off check codes let us know what u got if still o2 and map than we know where to go from here on

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
soso714;1769917 said:
Well if ur using the jza70 harness it's the second smallest connector called W it's 2nd to the left or if ecu is properly mounted it should be the 2nd connected closest to the passenger direction once u have the knowledge of that connector look for these three colors - brown -drk blue with blk stripe and - light green with blk stripe check at ur map sensor connector that should be ur colors. If u leave the ecu connector W in the ecu this is the position of those pins pin# 1 vac Blue blk stripe pin# 2 vac light green pin# 9 intake manifold ground Brown that grounds a few sensors so just becareful with it u can use a T pin to back probe for checking ur ohms or volts when the keys in the on position or better check volts at sensor when running with using the t pin to back probe the connector at the sensor to assure that it is a good sensor should be at 5 volts around idle and go up as u raise Rpms

The green and black weren't getting power due to the hks fcd so I removed it and now the map sensor is working But other then that the car is running fine except for the o2 sensor. Will not having a o2 sensor make my car sputter a little?

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
Also the o2 sensor isn't kicking a check engine light only when I gap te1 and e1 is when I get the code..... Any clues on why it does that?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
JZ's don't really trigger a check engine light unless it is something very serious. The O2 sensor really should not make your car sputter. Have you check your coil packs?

Have you checked that the harness for the O2 sensor gets power ad ground when the ignition is on? You will need to connect the two wires that are the same color on the Mustang O2 sensor to those wires of the O2 sensor harness that get power and ground when the ignition is on.

The O2 sensor has not polarity on the heater wires( wires that are the same color), so you can connect them without a problem.

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
IBoughtASupra;1770321 said:
JZ's don't really trigger a check engine light unless it is something very serious. The O2 sensor really should not make your car sputter. Have you check your coil packs?

Have you checked that the harness for the O2 sensor gets power ad ground when the ignition is on? You will need to connect the two wires that are the same color on the Mustang O2 sensor to those wires of the O2 sensor harness that get power and ground when the ignition is on.

The O2 sensor has not polarity on the heater wires( wires that are the same color), so you can connect them without a problem.

What would a bad o2 do? What i've experienced within the last hour is: @5-6k rpms it feels I have no power and it back fires 1-4k feels fine.

Idles fine

Spools fine until 5-6k

Ill check what I'm getting at the harness

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
Also I forgot to mention im still using a mk3 o2 sensor found a 89 cut the plug and tied my plug into it. I wanted to use the mustang one but it would occupy my only lambda nut. From the same colored plugs im getting with the key on both have power and the signal has nothing. With the car running one heater wire has power and the other is grounded and signal still has nothing. I cleared the codes ran the car still getting the error code 21(o2)

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
IBoughtASupra;1770350 said:
Bad sensor? How are you checking the signal of the sensor?

several methods, I have a test light you plug into the cigarette light and it has a little light red (power) green (ground) - reliable test for determining power and I'm using a snap on auto ranging mulitmeter. With the multimeter I have no continuity from the spiced o2 sensor wires and cut harness wires. But the test light is telling I have power and ground just not how much voltage or ohms or resistance.

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
I just dont wanna buy a $106 sensor and find out it's a wiring issue like my map sensor due to my FCD

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Food for thought I never had my o2 plugged in my 1jz. Always threw code 21, never effected it.

When I used my LC-1 I emulated it but still threw 21 for the heater. Never ran bad. Try taking off the FCD and going back to a close to stock setup

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
Albert;1770373 said:
Food for thought I never had my o2 plugged in my 1jz. Always threw code 21, never effected it.

When I used my LC-1 I emulated it but still threw 21 for the heater. Never ran bad. Try taking off the FCD and going back to a close to stock setup

How do you know it was for the heater? Ill leave it for now im just a little concerned about the backfire at 5-6k never happen before and I gapped my new copper plugs at .28 and it feels slow at high rpms, would the fact I took my FCD off effect my performance? I know my car was tuned with safc2 and the FCD at time of dyno and tune. Any input?