1jz basic power upgrades

yzrider

Dec 25, 2011
Bensalem pa
I was gathering parts together to go single and shoot for 550 or so but I decided to bail on that route. Just too much money to spend to do everything right. I was wondering about a more mild build and need to know about the stock ecu some. I had an aem so was researching that all this time. With the stock ecu and stock twins I was wondering what I can do to make some more power. I have hard piping, larger intercooler, intake, and will most likely get a y pipe. It will be a low restriction exhaust. I might pick up the upgraded twins from albert on here.

So anyway what I wanted to know was what can I get away with on the stock ecu. It fuel cuts over 12 pounds of boost from what I hear. What would you guys suggest? Can I throw a set of stage 1 cams in it and get a good increase? I've read cams give 1j's a huge gain something like 60hp over stock but Im not sure if thats at low boost levels on the stock ecu or if thats with turbos pushing alot more air. Do cams piss the ecu off, throw a code or some nonsense?
Is it worth getting boost cut defenders or piggy backs? Where do I start with that? Like I said I was planning to go standalone and single so Im kind of lost on where to start now but I know I cant leave it stock I wont be happy haha.

I swapped the 1j into a starion and its like 99% done. I broke my ankle in march still on crutches so it will be a little bit longer until I can button it up. Need to wire the alternator, hang the exhaust and thats basicaly it!

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
You could've easily found most your answers through searching. That's why you haven't received any response. I have nothing to do so I'll answer some:

Get an safc. It'll allow you to boost higher. I personally was boosting around 19psi. Stage 1 cams? Never heard of it, but if you do small core BC cams...you can go all the way to 272 and still be fine. cams make a huge difference, yes. with safc i had to adjust idle fuel and also drill a small hole through my throttle plate to allow more air in at idle. it did not want to idle at first. never had an issue after that and idled around 700.
i would not get a boost cut, just safc 2 or equivalent.

i would highly recommend going single and standalone if you know for sure you will do some heavy mods in the future. i love the twins but they are a pain in the ass to work with if you need to remove it.

19cturbo

Dec 14, 2012
Kingsport tn
im currently going single, safc2, holset hx35, 550cc injectors, and thats about it.. i already have my wideband so i should be good to go.. i plan to boost around 18 psi or so

yzrider

Dec 25, 2011
Bensalem pa
Thats awesome that was my plan too I had a hx35 and full aem but I sold it off. I dont know what Im going to do who knows. I should probably go single theres no reason not too when you get down to it. Less crap in the way, and can make real power.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
If your singles are in good condition or rebuilt you don't need to upgrade turbos to make 300rwhp. I'm assuming your "BPU" already, exhaust, air intake, FMIC right? I went this route with upgraded rebuilt twins, I wouldn't say stock because their no longer ceramic and they have better comp. wheels. First step, stock y-pipe/downpipe get rid of them, buy a chinese one off ebay, quicker spool and more hp. Next boost controller, 440cc jdm injectors. Now you can run 16lbs of boost safely, your ecu will still hit fuelcut if your overboosting. I'd also replace any old hoses well your at it. I upgraded my whole cooling system but it was gummed up I see a lot of people using the stock one so I believe it's adequate as long as its in good shape. FCD/BCD is a bad idea as this will hurt your motor if something goes wrong and there is no way to knowwithout a A/F ratio gauge, wideband o2 and AFPR. With that being said there is also no point in getting a piggyback like SAFCII without all those. As for cams, I bought some but their pointless unless you have a big turbo that spools over 6000 unlike the stock twins, as it creates more lift giving you a higher rpm range and more power uptop.