1jz 2jz idler pulley assembly the same?

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
my engine never came with an idler pulley assembly. the previous owner...i dont know how...fabed something to tighten the alternator cuz they relocated it...but now i have moved the alternator back to is place and put in a power steering pump.

the way i have it now the pump just pivots up and down on one bolt and everyone once in awhile no matter how tight it is...the engine will force the pump downwards and theres a horrible squeel from the loose belt.

i cant ever find a 1jz ilder pulley assembly so i figure i'd ask if the 2jz is the same so i can just go to the dealer. from the pics i looked it. they look identical.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
I am pretty sure that the 2jz idler tensioner is different, but you might be able to get a new one from Champion Toyota. Give it a shot!

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
or you could get a 2jz tensioner and find a belt that fits right.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
i'm jst worried that it wont bolt in...finding the belt is no biggy. regardless i have to find a non stock one cuz i have no a/c and my power steering pump bracket isnt stock location.

i think i'll give the tensioner a shot. i could always return it. i was just wondering if someone knew for sure if its a bolt on deal. i might just buy a whole engine just for that and part the rest of the engine out.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
I know the pulley is the same, but the arm of the tensioner is a different length and will not work from what others have said.

lilazni3uoy

AEM Powered
Apr 1, 2005
NoRCaL and SoCaL
www.cardomain.com
Tim said:
I know the pulley is the same, but the arm of the tensioner is a different length and will not work from what others have said.

the pulley's are the same, but if you use different tensioner it doesn't work? i don't get it :sarcasm:

i have a 2jz tensioner on mine i have a 1jz-gte, with 2jz-gte idler pulley, and i know that the pulley works, and tensioner and i know a 2jz-gte idler pulley will work on a 1jz-gte (cause it's the same pulley) ......?

Last edited:

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
There are two parts being discussed here. There is the pulley itself, which is the same, then there is the spring loaded arm that the pulley is attached to. The arm on the 2JZ I believe is longer then the 1JZ one.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
thanks for doing that. ordered the 2jz tensioner. should be in soon. take care of that annoying squeel.