1j?

suprahflyg

Prodution N's MA70!
Mar 6, 2013
California
so i was wondering how easy/hard itd be to swap in a 1jz twin turbo. i have a na 7m right now. also would i haveto notify the dmv that my car is turbo or...? Its not gonna happen soon but i just kinda wanna make plans on it :naughty:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its not too hard depending on your mechanical knowledge.?

Dont have to notify dmv, but the 1j is not a legally swappable motor so smog might be an issue. The 2j can be but has to have all emission equipment and be all stock and then you have to pay money for it to be bar'd and legal.

suprahflyg

Prodution N's MA70!
Mar 6, 2013
California
alright. well my dads friend is a great mechanic so i was gonna have him help me. I have someone to get me passed that so ill be able to do it

suprahflyg

Prodution N's MA70!
Mar 6, 2013
California
also so i wouldnt get pulled over if they heard my turbo spool and go pew? because i always thought you had to notify that your car is turbo now or something

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Kali + 1JZ = no

Unless you like being hassled by cops.

Also, going 2J is about the same cost these days since the easy to swap front cuts have all but disappeared. The ones left aren't cheap like they used to be.

suprahflyg

Prodution N's MA70!
Mar 6, 2013
California
oh. im always followed by cops especially since they started cracking down on racers and my team ninja sticker doesnt help lol. But i drove a mk3 with 2j and i didnt like where the tranny and shifter sat it also felt pretty weird to drive. It was a stock tt 2j but it didnt feel much more powerful than my stock 7m.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I have no problems in Cali but I don't drive crazy and my cars not loud and obnoxious.

1j are like 800-1000 cheaper for the motor. That's the only difference between the swaps.

suprahflyg

Prodution N's MA70!
Mar 6, 2013
California
idk like his shifter sat pretty far back it was weird i didnt like it. also he never tuned it so he blew 1 turbo and ran like a really low psi so thats prob y it didnt feel the same. @hvyman and seoul4korea are you happy with your swap? ive been thinking about a swap and redoing my car or just selling and getting a new car since my moms been on me about wanting me to have a new car but i feel like i would never be able to do anything in a new car

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
suprahflyg;1953730 said:
idk like his shifter sat pretty far back it was weird i didnt like it. also he never tuned it so he blew 1 turbo and ran like a really low psi so thats prob y it didnt feel the same. @hvyman and seoul4korea are you happy with your swap? ive been thinking about a swap and redoing my car or just selling and getting a new car since my moms been on me about wanting me to have a new car but i feel like i would never be able to do anything in a new car

Shifter sits in the exact same spot. Unless he had a different transmission, or was just dumb, it will sit in the exact same spot as the original shifter.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
1.5 jz swap is the exact same as a 1jz swap except your using a 2jz 3l block instead of of the 2.5 1jz. It has more displacement so thats a bonus and maybe you could hook up smog equipment then? although you still on the 1jz head so I don't think it will work the same either way. I sold my 7m lhd and got a 1jz rhd, I wouldn't go back but then again the first one was automatic this one is standard. But the 1jz rev's like nothing else I'd driven.. except a crotch rocket lol

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
1.5JZ was done for only 3 reasons.

- To get around the fun displacement restrictions in Japan (they have a tiered driver's license system) to make more power.
- It was easier to wire in than a true 2JZ.
- People are dumb and think the 1JZ head flows more/looks better/will decimate all

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
What year is your car and what tranny do you have? Jza70 will slide right into a 89+. The 1jzgte vvti is supposed to be really fun on the bottom end. Hell if you're gonna do a swap might as well go all the way and 2jzgte it.

suprahflyg

Prodution N's MA70!
Mar 6, 2013
California
i have a 90 supra. alright aha idk i was just thinking bout the 1j cuz my uncle talked about wanting to do it so much when he had the car. and i have a w58 tranny. I think my dads friend could get me a cheap 1j or 2j with r154 tranny pretty cheap.
Oh aha