1J won't start (sometimes, well a lot of the time!)

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
Ok so I've got the Supra no start (relay) problem, opted to install a push button start, wired +12V (Batt.) to push button, out starter relay, problem is when button is pushed starter selenoid just spins no engagement to the flywheel at all. Any suggestions?

johnd

Supramania Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
Ont. CA.
Lol:biglaugh:
EDIT sorry i just had so much trouble with my starter last season i like the sounds of smacking it.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
if you do indeed hear the starter turning over (do you hear an electric motor noise, or a clicking noise?) (are the accessory belts turning, while cranking?)

i don't think we are on the right track here. most Toyota starters do not start to spin until they are fully extended (into the flywheel, to engage the flywheel). it sounds to me you either have missing teeth on the flywheel or starter. or something like a broken timing belt.

i would try cranking the motor with the oil cap off to see if the camshaft is turning.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
mkiiichip;1532665 said:
it sounds to me you either have missing teeth on the flywheel or starter

I agree that this could cause his problem. It is possible, though, that the pinion gear on the starter isn't moving far enough forward to engage with the flywheel...I believe that's the reasoning behind IJ's suggestion. Which brings up this:

mkiiichip;1532665 said:
i don't think we are on the right track here. most Toyota starters do not start to spin until they are fully extended (into the flywheel, to engage the flywheel).

I used to think the exact same thing...but I was doing some research on my own no start problem, and found out that if there's not enough voltage to the solenoid, the starter can spin even without being engaged. Check out page 35 of this: http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/elec04.pdf.

This can be caused by excessive resistance in the starter control circuit (the path from the battery to the solenoid). Seems pretty likely to me since the OP says he was having no start problems even before installing the push button...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The electromagnet in starters gets tired/fullOcrap/sticky over the years, as he's done a relay/button mod we can assume it's getting a full 12v at enough current to fully throw if all was well, my suggestion was just a stopgap in case he gets caught somewhere he can't roll start it. ;)

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
I omitted some info on my original post, for about the last year there were times I could go out to crank, turn the key on and dash would lite up but you could only hear the relay in the pass. side kick panel click. Do that a few times then the starter will crank the car like normal. I lived with that for over a year till it decided to not start at all I ran the battery down trying to start so I just let it sit.

I decided to try a push button start wired it in, turned the key to run and hit it the starter motor just spinned I could hear it whining so I got off of it not wanting to burn it up. tried it again same thing so I tried the conventional start and guess what the damn car turned over, since I have the 1J cold start issue it took a couple tries but it finnally started. I drove the car for about 80 miles and parked it for the weekend then got in it Mon to come back to work. using the key it turned over the first time but didn't start then it went back to just the relay clicking for a couple tries then it turned over and I got it running to get it back.

I have a feeling that even if I replace the starter I'm still gonna have the same problem. Think it's the wiring.

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
IJ.;1532813 said:
The electromagnet in starters gets tired/fullOcrap/sticky over the years, as he's done a relay/button mod we can assume it's getting a full 12v at enough current to fully throw if all was well, my suggestion was just a stopgap in case he gets caught somewhere he can't roll start it. ;)

Oh, gotcha ;)

macjac69;1532852 said:
I have a feeling that even if I replace the starter I'm still gonna have the same problem. Think it's the wiring.

Based on that new info, I would guess that as well...definitely test it before you buy a new starter, anyway...