1j vs 2j (NO FLAMING PLS)

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
oK, Here's The scenerio..
A buddy of mines who has an SC just like mines with the same soarer set up from engine tranny rear end etc, blew his 1j and went 2j.
We have exactly the same set including supporting electronic(ie safc bcc scc) and injectors except now his car is 2j but all else is identical.
He's making 489rwhp and I am @ 468.
Ok so we are at a long dark road, pretty safe for high speed runs, so we went from a 60 roll. I started to pull in every gear by 140 both his lights were in my rear view meaning that he was at least 1 car behind me.
I would think that He being 2j would walk me just by sheer displacement advantage....
At this point in time I am debating going 2j my 1j is really creating a whole lot more faith in me.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i've always liked the 2J more than the 1J due to the fact of the extra .5 liter. helps spool larger turbos easier and will in the end make more power on the same boost levels as the 1J. as for you beating the 2J car with a little more power. the only thing i can think of is the power band helped you.

the 2J wont rev as high as the 1J stock so thats the only thing i can think of.

i'd love to come down there and play around but i hve no manifold LOLOL :D

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
The Reaper said:
i've always liked the 2J more than the 1J due to the fact of the extra .5 liter. helps spool larger turbos easier and will in the end make more power on the same boost levels as the 1J. as for you beating the 2J car with a little more power. the only thing i can think of is the power band helped you.

On stock cams, Drew probably doesn't have any extra powerband compared to his 2J friend. 2Js rev damn near 7k stock too and have better cams. Now if Drew had cams and was making power to 8k, 8.5k or whatever, then yeah increased powerband/gearing might be an important factor in those higher speeds.

Anything can happen in a street race and having the "better" setup never garuntees a win. Too many factors.

It's interesting that he won. Not because the 2J is better but because Drew is making less power.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
True good point Joe. i forgot drew is still on stock cams.

very weird. maybe drew had better shifts? maybe your car is lighter?

i mean only 20whp more than drew but anything could cancel that out even the fact that the guy could WEIGH more than drew could elminate a small amount of 20whp

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
He weighs 170 i am coming in at 240. But thanks for the possibility of me being slim once again....LOL
We both have single, 550 inj, both are stock cams
As for better shift I bounced 3rd gear off the rev limiter, that's a no-no in a race cuz it kills your spool. That helped him gain on me for fraction of a second until I hit full boost then the car just squat and start to pull again. ... I find it weird too.
I know he was kinda dissappointed of the outcome since he just dropped 4grand on the conversion.

250sx

now|dig|friendly
Jul 1, 2007
SFL
Was this the green one you were telling me about last night?

you better have this run on vid or i'm requesting a 3-day ban for your ass.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
honestly i dont see how this would be flame anything heh. they are both great engines hands down not much sense in comparing them, if you already have a 1j i'd stick to it.

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
1j sc4 said:
Was this the green one you were telling me about last night?

you better have this run on vid or i'm requesting a 3-day ban for your ass.

Yeah that was the one..!
He's going big pretty soon but I was pretty shocked at the results.

Vid? I am sorry but Ali Productions was slacking off last night.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Both engine have their +'s and -'s. I wouldn't mind having a 2jz, but I love my 1jz.

P.S. Joe, I like the new sig addition you have. I actually put my finger on the screen and was like damnit.

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
tlo86 said:
honestly i dont see how this would be flame anything heh. they are both great engines hands down not much sense in comparing them, if you already have a 1j i'd stick to it.

People would make comments like "a 1j with 500rwhp and a 2j with 500rwhp, the 1j would win because of xyz reason"
In my book it was all hearsay but I see that it ain't at least in this one experience.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
drewgo said:
People would make comments like "a 1j with 500rwhp and a 2j with 500rwhp, the 1j would win because of xyz reason"
In my book it was all hearsay but I see that it ain't at least in this one experience.

oh the 'honda guy' thing.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
drewgo said:

Yeah I remember that.

Just this one race wouldn't be enough to say that if 2 cars, 1j and 2j, with comparable power race the 1J will win.

Who knows, if you race a month from now, he might win.

daneyan

Banned
Sep 1, 2005
South Florida
dre your just a better driver man and i guess your cars running alota better than his. 1jz's are kings of the street. whereas on the dragstrip i'd take a 2jz for it's low end torque.

Boostage

Oct 4, 2006
Florida
The Reaper said:

The reason the 1jz won is because its like a c6 z06 engine, and the 2jz is like a tuned port 305 right Josh?

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
OneJoeZee said:
Yeah I remember that.

Just this one race wouldn't be enough to say that if 2 cars, 1j and 2j, with comparable power race the 1J will win.

Who knows, if you race a month from now, he might win.
Actually we ran 3 times. One was from a Dig, I cleaned him by 2nd gear. The other was from a 40 same outcome. The one mentioned at the beginning of the thread was the best out of the 3.
1j has alot of balls and growing....

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Interesting.

got scans of both of your dyno sheets? video of the runs?

If your car is performing this way now, imagine if you used that 4k or whatever it would cost you to swap to a 2J in more 1J performance parts.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
Boostage said:
The reason the 1jz won is because its like a c6 z06 engine, and the 2jz is like a tuned port 305 right Josh?

no actually the 1J is like a metro motor and the 2J is like a evinrude

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
drewgo said:
Actually we ran 3 times. One was from a Dig, I cleaned him by 2nd gear. The other was from a 40 same outcome. The one mentioned at the beginning of the thread was the best out of the 3.
1j has alot of balls and growing....

1J is a great motor, no doubt. Congrats Drew!

Don't get too happy though. I got a 2J coming to see ya soon :naughty: I might be down next weekend. I gave Geoff the wrong compressor and I need to switch it. Maybe we can all get together.

Chris