1J swap questions

3pc

3pc
Apr 7, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Ok First Ive done alot of looking and havent found a Direct answer.

Im gonna be Putting a 1j into my 91 n/a soon. My question is if I buy a JZA70 half cut what else will I need to put it into my 91 n/a.

Only info I really found that says what Ill need is a 2j throttle cable and some banjo bolt for the power steering.

Also Im gonna pick this up just make the wireing easier. Do you people think its worthe the 850 to save the headache of wiring?

https://935motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=79_14_144&products_id=992

gonzy tunning

Dec 6, 2006
new jersey
man i been into supras since 97 but i didint know that much about the performance on this car,but i just did a swap on my brothers 91 mkiii and it was easy man the harness i did it my self it took me 1 day for the hall harness and the things u going to need it 2jz throtle cable and power stering thing but u can get this stuff from driftmotion bro thats where i got those 2 things,good luck on the swap bro,gt

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
there are other options, i went through arizona for my wiring (check misc venders section) it would be cheaper since you already have the harness with the front clip and really most people just drill the hole in the firewall and there really arent any probs... the probs come from when people try to extend the harness themselves

you need to figure out if you are going to use the hydro fan for one thing ~ i would suggest doing basic things like the front main seal, rear main seal, timing belt, serpentine belt, spark plugs, pretty much new seals here and there (especially around the water pump) to keep things clean in the bay and avoid the hastle when its in the engine..

you can use the mkiv throttle but i think there is better options out there (the mkiv turbo throttle cable was perfect for my 2j but you have to move the bracket on the 1j... cheapest way is to goto toyotapartscheap.com or a junk yard for the other throttle cable)

for the power steering hose i say check the venders for a braided line (driftmotion sells one and you shouldnt need the banjo's)

also if you are keeping the stock twins get a downpipe before you throw the engine in hehe or take the twins off if you are going single they are never fun to dick with while the engine is in

3pc

3pc
Apr 7, 2007
Lakeland, FL
tlo86;883406 said:
there are other options, i went through arizona for my wiring (check misc venders section) it would be cheaper since you already have the harness with the front clip and really most people just drill the hole in the firewall and there really arent any probs... the probs come from when people try to extend the harness themselves

you need to figure out if you are going to use the hydro fan for one thing ~ i would suggest doing basic things like the front main seal, rear main seal, timing belt, serpentine belt, spark plugs, pretty much new seals here and there (especially around the water pump) to keep things clean in the bay and avoid the hastle when its in the engine..

you can use the mkiv throttle but i think there is better options out there (the mkiv turbo throttle cable was perfect for my 2j but you have to move the bracket on the 1j... cheapest way is to goto toyotapartscheap.com or a junk yard for the other throttle cable)

for the power steering hose i say check the venders for a braided line (driftmotion sells one and you shouldnt need the banjo's)

also if you are keeping the stock twins get a downpipe before you throw the engine in hehe or take the twins off if you are going single they are never fun to dick with while the engine is in

I plan on replaceing as many gaskets and seals as i can Before I put it in. I just wanted to know if there was anything else that I would need to put it into my car. For the wire harness if I drill the firewall will anything else have to be done to it? I rember reading somewere that the body harness wont match up or something, and that theres alot of plug hunting and changeing to get other things to work. When it comes to wiring Im not a huge fan of messing with them but if I got all the info I needed from the start it woouldnt be as bad cause I will know what to change before I while I have both harness's out of the car. Whats the deal on the hydro fan anyway I didnt see to much info out there about that?The ps hose and throttle cable I planed on ordering from driftmotion.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
3pc;883773 said:
I plan on replaceing as many gaskets and seals as i can Before I put it in. I just wanted to know if there was anything else that I would need to put it into my car. For the wire harness if I drill the firewall will anything else have to be done to it? I rember reading somewere that the body harness wont match up or something, and that theres alot of plug hunting and changeing to get other things to work. When it comes to wiring Im not a huge fan of messing with them but if I got all the info I needed from the start it woouldnt be as bad cause I will know what to change before I while I have both harness's out of the car. Whats the deal on the hydro fan anyway I didnt see to much info out there about that?The ps hose and throttle cable I planed on ordering from driftmotion.

...and don't forget to check the lower oil pan, i would reseal it regardless. As for the wiring, pm Dr Tweak or check the misc vendor section.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
OneJSupra;885380 said:
...and don't forget to check the lower oil pan, i would reseal it regardless. As for the wiring, pm Dr Tweak or check the misc vendor section.

yeah dr tweak does a good job i didnt want to tackle wiring personally i didnt have the time Lol.

i resealed pretty much everything in my 2jz, even inside the oil pan hehe. and like i said all of the little things since you dont really know the mileage on your engine and im not sure of the small differences between the 1j and 2j but i would check the 2j tsrm just incase for things like how to check to see if your idler puller is still good and tensioners and junk like that... checking the timing to make sure you have it right, i would suggest getting ahold of something for when you pull off the crank pulley (took me three days to get ahold of a tool every stores was damaged beyond use and awaiting replacement around me)

and a new clutch :)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
kikwear002;885726 said:
I would just do timing belt, t-stat, belt, hoses, plugs, oil change, filter,

and usually a lot of people do , but if you consider the difficulty when trying to get to some of these seals its very much worth it doing it now rather than later

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
I think you guys go a little overboard sometimes.. Things to remember are: Front and Rear main seals, cam seals, serpentine and timing belts, check idler and really thats about it.

If you're having to replace hoses and thermostats, well lets just say you didnt get the engine that you most likely paid for.. My hoses are all mint condition as well as most of the other stuff..

Other than that the obvious are oil, plugs, tranny fluid, etc etc.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
bobiseverywhere;886711 said:
on the first page of my build thread i put down some costs and parts needed with the front clip i purchased this should give you an idea of what to look for or check

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29567

It's great that you did the entire gasket set, but thats a lot of work IMO and otherwise un-needed unless you're a complete and utter freak about having your engine like new.

Still wish I could afford to do that, I dont know enough to accomplish it myself though.