1j or 2j swap

ma70mkiii

Jul 16, 2007
ohio
i went 1jz and now i am regretting it big time. the motor i got didnt come with a map sensor or an igniter so i had to buy those. i bought ss full length clutch hose, ss ps hose, 2j water pump, 2j throttle cable, 3in dp, high flow cat, full 3 in exhaust system, motor mounts, extend and put the 7m plugs on my harness. this has been a 2 year process for me because of work and money and im up to $8000 at least that i have put in it and its still not going. my friend do what i shoulda done either get a 2jzge and 5speed and single it on 7m electronics or just beef ur 7m. if time is not on ur side and money gets tight u r in a world of shit. take it from me.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
kwnate;1339639 said:
Get a supra motorset/clip, Budget $4500 and a few weekends. Bam, done. If you're cheap and lazy don't waste your time or money.

werd....

One thing that hasn't been said is that yes, you can do a swap for $2500ish, but what kind of condition will your car be in when done? will you have oil leaks? Good compression? What about your timing belt? Your clutch?

It's really simple: You get what you pay for. You know the old adage, fast, cheap, reliable: pick two, right?

I know that I'm over $7000 already, and I don't have my new motor in my car yet, but I want an all new motor (that *hopefully* I will never have to mess with again) and make around 550whp / 500lbs tq

DSGsupra89

http://www.highgearlife.c
Jun 8, 2007
West Melbourne Fl
I'm not lazy and I know I well past that $2400 mark. But I well do a full rebuild of the motor and tuned. I'm tired of the damn 7m I spent to much money in it. Had a great time with it but a few mouth later there's another problem. There some place that I live that sell this 1j motor cheap. In palm bay and Orlando FL. I do a thread on the swap as well. Thanks for the advice from the fellow supra people keep giving me more.

P.S. when I did a swap from the 7mge auto to a 7mgte manual I had to swap the hole wire harness and ECU. I'm getting the 1j it comes with the harness and auto tranny. I have a manual tranny that I'm going to use do I Know I have to change the ECU but do I have to change the harness as well.

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
DSGsupra89;1340065 said:
P.S. when I did a swap from the 7mge auto to a 7mgte manual I had to swap the hole wire harness and ECU. I'm getting the 1j it comes with the harness and auto tranny. I have a manual tranny that I'm going to use do I Know I have to change the ECU but do I have to change the harness as well.

You see the harness is the REAL KICKER in the 1jz swap/2jz Swap because its not a plug n play option- your going to have to wire up your dash acc, Fuse block comp.,Power inputs/feedback to/from ECU unless you go the 2jzge route and use 7m Harness/electronics. There are a couple options by doing it yourself or sending it out to somebody like dr tweak (4-5 wk delay at the moment... ask me how i know:biglaugh:) . The easiest by far is getting the jza70 harness n ecu but others have been done too (soarer, chaser, aristo-2jzgte). You just gotta decide how you want to approach the 1jz/2jz swap and START with getting all your Wiring Issues handled BEFORE you purchase your 1jz. Also remember if you do send out that harness, for example chaser harness/ecu. What if a problem arises down the road, do you have the proper resources to diagnosis(sp) the problem.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I guarantee you that whatever little problem the 7M is giving you, you'll have far worse with the new motor...

They're NOT "drop in" and never will be.

You're also looking at an unknown engine that has more than likely sat in a junkyard for a long time outside and exposed...

turbonator

Apr 6, 2008
vancouver
hi gang
I have been reading along since the start of this forum
I put down payment for a 1JZ yesterday for 3200 canadian (shipping included)
I am having a shop do the swap for me.Its all he does is supras.I have a email of his parts and labor and unless i pay myself $ 5 dollars a hr.I could noy do it cheaper.I will be into for 7000 when done for sure.and thats stock.I am going with a new timing belt and clutch.I could forward you the email if that would help it is quite detailed.

DSGsupra89

http://www.highgearlife.c
Jun 8, 2007
West Melbourne Fl
The wire problem is no problem the motor has a warrenty I live in palm bay next to Melbourne, FL there a place that just do and sell the motor there called Grip industries they do the wireing and there local know the guys there. If I have any problem.

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
DSGsupra89;1341841 said:
The wire problem is no problem the motor has a warrenty I live in palm bay next to Melbourne, FL there a place that just do and sell the motor there called Grip industries they do the wireing and there local know the guys there. If I have any problem.

well that what the heck you waiting for:naughty: