1j or 2j swap

DSGsupra89

http://www.highgearlife.c
Jun 8, 2007
West Melbourne Fl
alright everyone I gave up being a 7m owner (gave me to much problem). I was first thinking on going an 1j swap but I been searching around and can buy a 1j or even 2j. the 1j is easy to put in with out my head hurting. But I would love to go 2j I have look at threads and seen it took allot of time that I don't have. I want to know do I have to change the oil pan and some people say I have to bang the fire to make it fit do allot is it easy I really need everyone choose the 1j or 2j. yea budget is $2400 the 1j with harness and auto tran $1400 the 2j with harness and auto tran $1900 I have a R154 tran. help me my fellow supra owners

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
If I had to do it again, I would do a 2jz-ge w/ a 71mm+ turbo, FFIM, quick spool valve and meth injection. I would not have done the 1jz.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
foreverpsycotic;1335504 said:
I would do a 2jz-ge w/ a 71mm+ turbo, FFIM, quick spool valve and meth injection.

But then there's engine management, injectors, lines, and all that shit :)

The 1J is probably going to be the easiest. Going single right off the bat (while the motor is out) is win.

DSGsupra89

Jun 8, 2007
West Melbourne Fl
tbcmorris;1335511 said:
Your budget is to low to accomplish either swap. Don't be a 2j fan boy. But it fits, the 6speed tranny I what you need to do some bangin for

I well have more money the 1j is only $1400 and the 2jgte is $1900. Is the 2j really that much a problem. Cash is no problem the time is not on my side.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
just go 2jz.

unless you know what your doing and under stand how easy it is to mess up, you'll spend thousand's more on any other motor.
the 2jz will just simply take your shit.

Not saying you can forget about doing maintence, but that she is more sustanble compaired to the M series.

the 1jz is just a weaker, ( in power ) compaired to the 2jz motor. and doesn't look as sexy under the hood.

I personaly like the dumb 7m motor, they can be cheaper, but need Good machine work And Excelent owner's to keep them Alive.

I would not suggest a M Series motor to A DipShit Kid. or even a lazy adult.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
RacerXJ220;1335557 said:

But then there's engine management, injectors, lines, and all that shit :)
Yeah, but I still would be ~ the same amount of money into the car. Especially if I forgo a DBB turbo and use a journal berring. Into the motor now, I have around 6k-6500, and I am nowhere near where I want to be.

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
I would say if your budget is low go 1JZ. I have a 1jz and have no problems with it. Then again what's your long term goal? If your long term goal is to make big power with gobs of torque i would say to save up some more and just get the 2JZ.

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
Poodles;1336186 said:
If you budget is low, stay 7M...

$2400 isn't going to get you a swap, period.

Why the time constraint?

Or you could do what he said and use your money to build a hell of a 7M.:evil2:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
So many people think you can go 1 or 2jz for a set cost, just because the motor cost that much DOESNT mean you can put it in and have it run for that. There is a LOT more stuff you will miss and need when putting it in, not to even bring up the fact that you will prolly break things, considering the engines aren't brand new anymore.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
$2400 WILL cover the cost of going 1jz, I'm in the process right now. I got some good deals though. When and if the time comes, you can go 2j from there and sell the 1jz motor for a good price still. Having an r154 helps, not to mention you can make some money form when you sell the 7m. Don't be discouraged, start looking for deals yesterday. Work the 7m for now until you get your parts and jump in.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Guyana00;1336555 said:
$2400 WILL cover the cost of going 1jz, I'm in the process right now. I got some good deals though. When and if the time comes, you can go 2j from there and sell the 1jz motor for a good price still. Having an r154 helps, not to mention you can make some money form when you sell the 7m. Don't be discouraged, start looking for deals yesterday. Work the 7m for now until you get your parts and jump in.

So its not running, and your positive that 2400 will cover it.

DSGsupra89

Jun 8, 2007
West Melbourne Fl
yea I sold the t70 with the 50mm wastgate the lines with the front mount intercooler. Only thing left is all the accessory and the head to get off my hands. pm me for anything on parts well be posting a sell thread with pic soon.

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
Just make sure you know what "car" 1jzgte you get- that could make a good deal turn sour real quick. Nobody's mentioned this but look at it long run; the 1jz parts are getting harder and harder to find (supply n demand) and jacking up 1jz prices which is good if you have a 1jz but not so good if a you need a part cause you got jibbed from the JDM supplier(and yes it happens) and now you're out 350 bucks for an ecu for example.

What I like bout the 1jz is that some parts are actually cheaper than the 2jz. Ex: Gasket kit for 1jz is 138 bucks for the 2jz its like around 250.

At the end of the day you can make great power with either motor. Just depends if you want the extra displacement/torque or longer power band.