1J major issues

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I just installed my 2J cams and JDM 440 injectors. I had to gap the spark plugs to .026 to get the motor to start because at .028 it wouldn't. When I start it up the engine runs really rough and low (500 RPM's), then after a minute it will rev up to 3500-4000 RPM's. The throttle is for the most part unresponsive and when the motor hits the 3500 mark I will can give it a quick blip of WOT and the RPM's will come down to around 1300. The A/F is around 15:1 and it smells like something is burning (not gas) coming out of my exhaust pipe. My exhaust is blowing out either white or blue smoke and the engine runs like a boxer motor (really rough). I'm at a loss as far as what to do :1zhelp:

Adam

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Last edited:

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Oh. All I know is that the clearances for the bucket shims were within specs. I'm still learning, bear with me. Sounds like I need to enlist the help of a more knowledgable mechanic. I'm going to pull the valve covers back off along with the cam gears and double check the cams. I think they weren't positioned correctly. I just talked to my buddy James (pimptrizket) and he said something about the 3 holes in the cams being straight up. I didn't know about those holes.

Last edited:

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
with out being there and looking at it I cant be sure, but I installed cams wrong on a 4age one time and it sounded and ran like crap just like that.
Did you line up the cam and crank marks 100%? even one tooth off and you can tell but in this case if that is the case I would say its off a few.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Aphxero, PM sent

Well I just tore apart the motor minus pulling the crank pulley since I don't have an impact. Here's what I saw when I pulled the valve covers off with the cam gears at TDC. When I pulled the caps off the 3 holes on each cam were straight up.

Erkenz

Apr 25, 2006
Michigan
watching your vid, your 1j runs like the 13bt in my rx7. Maybe you could throw the stock 1j cams back in and see if it still runs like ass?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Set of feeler gauges put the Cam on the back (round part) and see what feeler will be a slip fit and record it then rotate the engine to the next cylinder in the firing order and the the next pair of lobes.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
5e9uo6.jpg

Backwards cams?

Edit: Nevermind. I was judging by the sensor.

p1283099_1.jpg

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Adam, You do have the intake cam on the intake side correct? The intake side will have two prongs sticking out for the cam sensors. I don't know how it would run or even if it would if they were reversed, but just thought I'd check.

Exhaust should be .008 -.012 (.010)
Intakes should be .006 -.010 (.008)