1j Intake Valve - Where can I find one?

psifactor

Apr 1, 2005
Clearwater, FL
www.myspace.com
Well I ran into a little problem and have a bent intake valve. Would have been nice if the 2j intake valve was the same but they are not. Slightly longer and larger dimameter.

Does anyone know where I can find a 1j intake valve or the part number to it? I've done a good amount of searching without much luck. I've all ready purchased a 2j valve....would you recommend having that machined? Or how could I get that to work?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kelly

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
yep, i had a bent intake valve (1jz head) and went to my friend arnout from supras.nl, he has loads of engines and we looked to see if we could use one from a 2jz(gte)
I had both intake and exhaust valves to compare and the 1jz exhaust valves are about 2mm bigger in diameter than the 2jz ones.
The 2jz intake valves are also about 2mm bigger in diameter than the 1jz ones.

The overal length and stem diameter are exactly the same for 1jz and 2jz valves, also the specs they need to be within.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
annoyingrob said:
REALLY?I did not know that. Are you SURE?

So there IS a benefit of a 1.5JZ after all!
not really.. why have more out when you have less comming in.

I remember hams saying 2jz intakes were like 1.5mm larger and the 1jz exhaust were 1mm bigger. so +1 mm 2jz exahust valves worked.

Rich

tunin' tha beast
Jun 2, 2007
the netherlands
tissimo said:
I remember hams saying 2jz intakes were like 1.5mm larger and the 1jz exhaust were 1mm bigger. so +1 mm 2jz exahust valves worked.

yes, that sounds right, I didn't measure them, I only held them together.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tissimo said:
It follows the principal of a staggered cam setup. I'm not saying its better, but there is a benefit.

That's good to know though. I always thought 2JZ valves were 1mm bigger on both intake and exhaust.

psifactor

Apr 1, 2005
Clearwater, FL
www.myspace.com
Humm, I have to dissagree that the exhaust valves are different in dimameter size. I purchased 2j intake and exhaust valves. The exhaust ones were identical and the intake 2j one was slightly larger in dimameter. I'll measure them and post up pictures. BTW, 2j intake and exhaust both seem a bit longer.

Either way I've found someone with some extra valves laying around! Thanks for the help.

and Annoying Bob....why would i want to upgrage my intake and exhaust valves to 2j ones? Even If I did upgrade to the larger intake valves they are only like 1mm larger in dimameter.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
psifactor said:
and Annoying Rob....why would i want to upgrage my intake and exhaust valves to 2j ones? Even If I did upgrade to the larger intake valves they are only like 1mm larger in dimameter.
1mm larger diameter will give you a decent flow increase. I figured if you had to change them, why not upgrade them!

psifactor

Apr 1, 2005
Clearwater, FL
www.myspace.com
1mm dimameter increase isn't worth it on each valve. The machine work wouldn't be cheap. Might as well upgrade to something aftermarket.

Right now I'm just looking for an inexpensive fix. I think the valves sizes are fine. I'm happy with the power my car makes.

tissimo said:

I would say it is because one of the main issues with engines it getting hot air out asap. Having a larger exhaust valve would allow more air to flow out and reduce the chances of a cracked head when you are really pushing the engine hard.