1J Head Work

JZ_killa_t68

Fartknocker
Jun 19, 2005
Sin City
Just got my head back (Finally-my fault for the delay) from Baker Cylinder Heads in Las Vegas. I got the Before pics on my other computer at home, and the after pics are still on my phone. I'll get them up later. But here's the Bench flow test results:

Work performed:
Level 2 port/polish (street)
Dual valve springs and Ti. retainers
Stock valves.

The gains on the intake side are noticeable around the .400-.500 lift mark, and the exhaust side is .300-.400 lift mark. anything before that actually hurt the flow and velocity.

As for the appearance of the head, I am pretty much speechless. it is immaculate. the surface of the head is almost a mirror finish. It was a little pricey, here's the rundown (for anyone interested in their services):
Level II performance package-$1290 (rebuild, port/polish, 5-angle valve job)
Flow Test Before/After-$150
Viton stem seals-$72
Dual valve springs/Titanium retainers-$579
grand total: $1502.52 +$579 for the springs/retainers.

the work is flawless, but I don't really think that the port/polish did too much except waste my money. and the flow testing was a gift to you guys for future reference. If I remember right, a normal rebuild is either in the $500 or $700 range. I can't remember.

Edit: The first 2 charts are the Before and the last 2 are After.

Attachments

• Chart_Before.JPG
    Chart_Before.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Flow_Before.JPG
    Flow_Before.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 20
  • Chart_After.JPG
    Chart_After.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 21
  • Flow_After.JPG
    Flow_After.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 14

JZ_killa_t68

Fartknocker
Jun 19, 2005
Sin City
Okay, here are the pics I took with my cell phone, before having the head packed up and shipped to my builder. Please note, that the head was still in the plastic when I took these.

Attachments

• Head_1.jpg
    Head_1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Head_2.jpg
    Head_2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 37
  • Head_3.jpg
    Head_3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 37

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Looks awesome! I'd really be interested if you're actually going to run a .400 to .500 lift cam. That'd be insane.

JZ_killa_t68

Fartknocker
Jun 19, 2005
Sin City
RacerXJ220;876125 said:
Looks awesome! I'd really be interested if you're actually going to run a .400 to .500 lift cam. That'd be insane.

Exactly. That's why I think it was pretty much a waste. I lost flow in the range that is most suitable for us.

By-the-way, I ended up going home for lunch, so hear are the before pictures.

Attachments

• head_1.JPG
    head_1.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 30
  • head_2.JPG
    head_2.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 30
  • head_3.JPG
    head_3.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 25
  • head_4.JPG
    head_4.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 21

jblaze

"Always the underdog"
Apr 14, 2006
Baltimore, Md
I was looking at the numbers... it looked like you gained about 23 CFMs on the intake but only .9 CFMs on the exhaust. Is this right?

JZ_killa_t68

Fartknocker
Jun 19, 2005
Sin City
jblaze;877048 said:
I was looking at the numbers... it looked like you gained about 23 CFMs on the intake but only .9 CFMs on the exhaust. Is this right?

It pretty much depends on how much lift my cams will have. I'm getting custom ground cams, but I have nothing in the works right now, I would like to see if I could get something closer to the .400 range of lift. in that range, the difference is 13 CFM on the intake, and almost 11 CFM on the exhaust. The velocity difference is like +20 on the intake, and +13 on the exhaust. But realistically, if I get the Crower cam profile (like a .350 lift I believe, I'm looking at somewhere in the middle of -10 CFM and 13 CFM on the intake, and +13 and +11 on the exhaust. and -13 to +20 velocity on the intake and +19 to +13 on the exhaust.

The best profile for me would be an exhaust cam of just a bump over .300 lift, and an intake cam of .400 or more of lift. I don't even know if there is a cam out there like that.

Josh

JZ_killa_t68

Fartknocker
Jun 19, 2005
Sin City
soapra;877213 said:
I should be taking pictures of my head project. Im working closely with my machinist to get the most out of the 1jz head. I will post the numbers for us to compare.

That would be great. Thanks again for the 1J exhaust gasket!

jblaze

"Always the underdog"
Apr 14, 2006
Baltimore, Md
A friend of mine got his 7M MK3 motor fully built (bottom and head) with port and polishing, oversized valves... the works! He put a GT35r on there and that thing RUNS LIKE CRAZY!!!!!!!! You would sware that he was running 17-18 psi instead of 13 (off the wastegate UNTUNED) psi at that! If you get the right person to do your port work, it will be a night-n-day difference! I have NEVER rode in a 7M mMK3 that had life. Most have power, but his car revs (alot like a jz motor). Just make sure that when/if you get work done, bigger is not always better. You can have hi volume (hp) but loose velocity (tq/spool). It has to be the right combination. Good luck on your setup. Put it together and show some vids.