1J Flywheel question

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
I have a 1J flywheel that i got resurfaced. The place that did it ended up resurfacing it completely flat not putting in the "step up" does anyone have the specs as to how low this should be? I'm going to bring it back to get it redone the correct way.

example - look at the raised part for the clutch to engage(friction area) and the lowered part (outside ring). Thanks

p960697_1.jpg

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
When you re-surface a flywheel, the machine shop removes the surface on the flywheel that the clutch touches. How much does one remove? Enough to make the surface flat again within design specs. Usually only a few thousands at max.

If he machines the flywheel to have that "lip" and removes the base material that does not come in contact with friction material, you are machining the flywheel beyond design specifications and weakening it greatly. If you make decent power and turn high rpms, you'll probably end up missing your legs in the near future.

Never resurface a flywheel in a performance car. Always buy new if yours is wavy. A transmission, clutch, subframe, and body parts are not worth risking over a $250 flywheel from toyota.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
TaSe;961169 said:
Whats the step for the 7M??? lol, i told them 20 thou i hope i'm alright or i'm goingt o have to purcahse a new 1

I have no idea. I figured your machine shop would be smart enough to look it up :)

When I got my 1JZ flywheel machined, I took it to the machine shop, told them it has the same specs as a 7M-GTE. A few hours later, I went back, and picked up a freshly machined (and properly stepped) flywheel. I didn't even realize there was a step on it until they gave it back to me.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
TaSe;961169 said:
Whats the step for the 7M??? lol, i told them 20 thou i hope i'm alright or i'm goingt o have to purcahse a new 1

I just had four of them done. My machine shop has a book that tells them what the step is on flywheels. :naughty: 20 thou is what they told me. I will have a better idea in a few minutes.

Ninja Edit:

.020 thou is the right spec.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
.020" (half a milimeter) is correct.

Think your shop screwed up ?
That's nothing.
I had a shop do a flywheel for me.
They put the step in alright.......
Only the wrong way !!
The clutch surface as 20 thou deeper than the pressure plate bolt surface.:nono:

Rule of thumb:
Never have a machine shop do any thing on a Monday, Friday, or before & after a major holiday.........
Takes most of them one day to re-learn their job after being away for a few days,
And they are thinking about their up coming days off before they get off work.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
soapra;962743 said:
Give them the number I just gave you. All they need to do is cut the step.

Well the thing is i went tuesday and took a day off and told them to cut the step in. I told them 20 thousands and they said OK and did it. Looks ok to me im just hoping i said it right lol.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
soapra;963781 said:

Sorry all i have is camera phone pictures. But i told them 20 thousands and this is what i got. I double checked and told htem i need it to be exactly 20 thousands or its going to mess things up. And he assured me it was 20 thousands.

Attachments

• Image0001.jpg
    Image0001.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Image0002.jpg
    Image0002.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 6

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
gofastgeorge;962798 said:
.020" (half a milimeter) is correct.

Think your shop screwed up ?
That's nothing.
I had a shop do a flywheel for me.
They put the step in alright.......
Only the wrong way !!
The clutch surface as 20 thou deeper than the pressure plate bolt surface.:nono:

:rofl:

now how the hell do you fuck that up....