1j cam removal question

Feb 24, 2006
Los Angeles
i've recently been gathering parts of my cam seals removal and 2jz cam shaft installation and i was curious to know if anyone has removed the timing belt without removing the main pulley? everywhere i've searched including the 2jz tsrm says to removed it, but has anyone ever done this without the removal of the main pulley? thanks

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
youd need to break the cover if you want to do that, take the pulley off its not hard :)

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
slidingsidewayz;1054183 said:
i've recently been gathering parts of my cam seals removal and 2jz cam shaft installation and i was curious to know if anyone has removed the timing belt without removing the main pulley? everywhere i've searched including the 2jz tsrm says to removed it, but has anyone ever done this without the removal of the main pulley? thanks

If your not replacing the timing belt, and just swapping cams, iirc, you don't need to remove the pulley and lower cover.

But i'm guessing you want to remove and replace the timing belt, not just pull it off the cam gears. Like tlo86 said, its not that hard to get the pulley off. I used the breaker bar+bump the starter trick, just make sure you get it tightened back up enough.

Last edited: