1J and 2J crank sensor adapter

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
FYI:

In case anyone is interested, I'm having some crank sensor adapters made. I'm making them for use with a 1/2" Electromotive sensor.

They're going to bolt into the stock location, retained by the original bolt and they're going to have a "pinch" mount that will allow you to set the clearance as necessary.

I'm also trying to get some 60-2 wheels done (in the factory size) so I'm going to have some lower timing belt pulleys all ready to go, so that Electromotive ECUs will be a 100% bolt on setup.

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
Their sensor is really nice...very durable and reasonably priced. I've used it with several other types of ECUs. I'm doing the buy-in with Electromotive and BigAaron and I are working on a plug-in setup for the 1J swaps he does over there.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Hey,

That is how I cut my teeth. Tec3! No not the R!, Just plain ole Tec3. It worked well for what it does. Wish it had a little bit more adjustment especially on sensor useage but oh well! :)

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
I was just talking about that with them last week.

They said that they might actually do it with the new software...that and I hope they get rid of that "write protect" deal where you can only edit a map when you have a copy and do a real write protect where you can just check a box and use a password.

I did a couple of the 3s, but mostly Tec3Rs. I had a lot of friend that ran the old Tec-II...pre-wintec setup. Yowza....set the "wayback machine" for the late 80s/early 90s, IIRC...LOL

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I like this idea a lot. Any pricing as of now for a tec3 setup with a basemap? I need to know how much to save up, as I hopefully will be going standalone this summer (or winter)

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
We have to get into the harness and see what we can accomplish with an adapter harness. If it's similar to the setup that Aaron does with the Stinger...and it should be...I would hope to keep it below $2500 for the unit, crank sensor parts (bolt-in), necessary sensors, adapter harness and connectors.

Base maps are only good for startup and moving the car. I'd be happy to supply you with one if I have it, but I need a similar "guinea pig" setup to make one on. Electromotive has a pretty neat wizard that will get you running in less than 10 minutes and if you follow the directions, you can drive it in 15-20 minutes. I've done setups where buggies never came off the trailer here and went straight to Glamis. Not recommended by any means, but it is a pretty dialed setup.

BTW -- the new one they have is the "Tec-GT". That's what we're gonna be using.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
I was hoping for a pricing simalar to the stinger, but that just means that I need to save a bit more. What is the price of just the tec-GT, without the harness and sensor?

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
The GT is 1795 racer net. The Stinger is 950-ish. There's a pretty big difference between the two, hardware-wise, plus it needs a different crank trigger pattern and sensor. The stinger is the best cheap ECU I've ever seen...for the money, you can't beat it...it does have some limitations, though.

The Electromotive has an on-board ignition system...it will drive coils directly from the ECU, no igniter necessary. If you use their coils (preferred, but not required), it's as stout as any ignition available. It will also drive peak and hold injectors directly (6 p&h drivers).