1GZ-FE - My new project motor!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
::popcorn::

I love this thread... I take it your intention behind the dry sump was to mount the engine a few inches lower? Was pricing out a new Corvette the other day (just for fun really), and noticed that you can get the LS3 (as well as the LS7 in the Z06) with a dry sump system, thought that was pretty badass, although not sure if GM puts the engine lower as a result in the coupe.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
Its not so much a matter of lowering the engine as its the stock sump and the MK3 subframe want to be in the same place at the same time.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
Just bought a used but nice 3 stage pump. It looks to be made by stock car products or weaver or race line. It can tricky to tell some of there pumps appart from just a few pictures. I would have loved to have the cash to spend on a new pump but a used one in good shape pulled from a running engine for only $275 is hard to pass up. I decided that 2 scavenge stages would be enough for my needs and would keep the pump from takeing up to much room and from pulling to much vacuum.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
I got around to test fitting the dry sump pump on the 1GZ over the weekend. Its a 3 stage Razor pump and I mounted it in the old AC compressor location. I am planing on belt driving it off a second pulley on the water pump.

dry sump 3 small.JPGdry sump 2 small.JPGdry sump 1 small.JPGdry sump 4 small.JPG

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
I have finised machining the flywheel for the tilton twin plate clutch and just have to order new discs with the propper spline count for the r154. I also need to machine up the adapter plate to go between the auto bellhousing and the trans. So that I can bolt them up for a test fit and so I can fab up the engine mounts.

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
redrocco;1899442 said:
I got around to test fitting the dry sump pump on the 1GZ over the weekend. Its a 3 stage Razor pump and I mounted it in the old AC compressor location. I am planing on belt driving it off a second pulley on the water pump.

I would've thought the best/safest option would be to drive it directly off the crank - otherwise you're introducing another failure point (crank to water pump belt) into the mix?