1GZ-FE - My new project motor!

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
There's a clean looking one on ebay right now for about $5200 if anyone else wants to see if they can pull this off. Just search for "1GZ" in ebay motors.

I'd buy it myself, but I can't even afford to to the 1UZ swap I've been drooling over.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
destrux;1819925 said:
I'd buy it myself, but I can't even afford to to the 1UZ swap I've been drooling over.

I live in rochester NY, based on your cars plate your in PA so posabley not TO far away (I went to college in Williamsport PA). I have done the 1uz swap on my MK3 and on a friends MK2 I could probbly help you out with yours and you may be surprised on how cheep it can be done based on what exactly you want to do. Let me know if you want help with the swap and or the custom fabricated parts needed as I am a machinest and make most of my own parts. I always like working on making a nice supra nicer.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Cool, did you go to penn tech? My cousin went there for welding a couple years ago. I used to hang out up there sometimes and go drinking.

I could probably get the money together, I'm just being lazy I guess. Plus I'm not sold on the 1UZ yet. I tend to change my mind on a daily basis, and it swings back and forth between a 1UZ with a turbo, a 2JZ vvti, and a 1.5JZ (using my current 1JZ). Right now my top priority is an R154 swap and finishing my suspension mods.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
Well as of about a week ago there is now a light blue 89 turbo supra shell sitting in my driveway behind my black 87 supra. I now have a home for the 1GZ! The drive to pick it up was as nightmere as there was a slight mixup between hampton NY and easthampton NY. So it went from a 10 hour drive to a 38 hour drive, not a typo or a weekend trip but a 38 hour straight drive, 40 hours if you ad in 1 hour for picking up the tow dolly and 1 hour for loading the supra on the dolly. I just hope thats the last time I ever need to drive for that long and the last time I ever drive through NY city. On the plus side the car is very cleen with the exception of two small dents that can be easily repaired. I will post up some pictures as soon as I have a chance to wash the car and take the pics.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
LOL, the roads in NY city are kind of like driveing down the middle of rail road tracks on a minibike that has no suspention. Add to that haveing to tow a car on a car dolly and its just crap loads of fun. I grew up in the country and the trails and corn fields were smother and made better roads then what I drove on in NYC. If I ever have to drive there again I will barow my buddys jeep that has a 6 inch lift, 38" off road tires and a full crash bar.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
NYC wasn't so bad, but I wouldn't want to drive there, especially towing anything. Sorry to hear about the misdirection man, looking forward to pictures. :)

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
I have been researching the dry sump setup as that's one of the first things that needs to be done so I can test fit the engine. I also need to have the engine mated to my R154 for the test fitting so I have been working on finishing my tilton tripple plate flywheel and trying to deside on what addapter plate and throughout bering combo to use. The engine is all striped down, cleened and ready for a test fit and I have started makeing the parts needed for the new engine mounts. Once mounts, trans adapter and dry sump are done I will move on to wiring and manifolds.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
525gte;1892907 said:
do you have any pics ?
Surely he does, but if he were to share them with us, our eyes would melt from how awesome this swap is going to be. :p

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
The 1GZ is basically a copy of BMW's M70. I believe they used their engines as bench marks when they were building the V8 and this V12. This is just my theory, I don't have hard facts.

Wish you the best on this project and certainly hope you finish it!!! I would love to see this thing! I seceded from my V12 project indefinitely because I want to finish "The BLACK" project first. However, I'm not sure if I will ever reenter the V12 project, although its always on my mind EVEN as a possible engine for "The BLACK".

I'm not too far from you. Perhaps one of these days we can meet. PM me sometime if you'd like to coordinate.

Mig.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
te72;1892946 said:
Surely he does, but if he were to share them with us, our eyes would melt from how awesome this swap is going to be. :p
hahahlol if i show you i would have to kill you

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
LoL, I will see what new pics I can post up but most of my progress lately has been in the R&D and parts research which while important is not very photogenic. I think I am getting close to a final plan for the dry sump system and am looking at going with a 4 stage pump and a butler built tank. As for the oil pan I have not decided on weather to build a completely new pan from scratch or modify the stock pan. I am almost done with the new flywheel and will therefore have to order a tilton triple plate clutch and a fresh set of discs for it very soon. Dispite the higher cost over other brands I think I will be useing a tilton hydraulic throughout bearing as they seem to be very reliable.

redrocco

QUADCAM
Feb 21, 2007
Rochester NY
Yes, the bottom of the engine is flat and as far as I can tell the rotating asymbley does not stick out past the bottom of the block. In theory the engine could be run with a flat plate bolted on inplace of the pan. That's kind of my plan for a custom rear sump pickup for the dry sump. I will try to draw up my idea and post pics tonight.