1G-GTE

DriftShin

DriftingShinobi
Aug 17, 2007
Lusaka
I'm getting discouraged bit by bit. Seems like everybody is running or has 7Ms or changing from 7M to 1J or 2J. I'm running a 1G-GTE and there doesn't seem to be much about it. Even the search yields no support for it, compared to the the 7M, 1J and 2J anyway. Had i been somewhere else, would probably have opted for a 1J swap but it's fcking hard getting any type of mods here, shit I'd have to either ship the stuff here (kill my wallet basically) or head to South Africa (where there is no guarantee i'll find what i need.).

Crap, why did i get a car with such a rare engine? It is not feasible for me at all to mod the supra properly (even if i can get the parts in, who will hook them up for me)? I mean i've only had the car for a couple of months and its feels hopeless already. Damn!!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
dont worry about it. its just like me driving my 7m NA. im basically in the same boat as you, no money and no importers close by (canada/florida maybe) and im stuck right in between the two.

i've been living with this for three or four years, and you definitely get used to it. you've still got a tank of a car thatll run forever (toyota reliability) and since it runs forever, drive it for a little while til you do get the money to import a jz swap. and besides, all the info you need to do ANYTHING mod-wise is right here on supramania.

just let us know how we can help!

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
2 hr drive, baby. i gotta update it though since im in blacksburg going to VT. so add a half hour.

i got the car from my aunt a while back, who was in richmond.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
Hey man, you can def mod a 1G, there just isn't all that much info about them here on Supramania...

Try searching some other Supra forums, and hopefully you'll have some luck.

I'll come back in a bit and post some links you may find useful (about using some stock parts from other manufacturers for upgrades and mods) :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the internals take a damn good beating though

where's the link of the 1G in I think an old celica putting down over 500HP on a stock longblock?

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
not trying to steal the thread but heres an importer right here in va for ya clip
http://www.noyanusa.com/

and as fa a the 1g goes if you can't find the parts you want then make them.Is easy to fab up an exhaust/down pipe or take it to a local muffler shop parts don't always have to come from big companys

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
there where a ton of name brand second hand headers on ebay not too far back that would allow a nice T04 setup

they pop up pretty often since they don't move, and the prices aren't bad

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Poodles said:
there where a ton of name brand second hand headers on ebay not too far back that would allow a nice T04 setup

they pop up pretty often since they don't move, and the prices aren't bad

...but isn't it a bit like trying to train Pee-Wee Herman to be a weight lifter???

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
tell that to the honda guys putting down over 500HP

the engine is stout, it just needs more boost.

High RPM engines are great on a road course, I'd just pop that bitch in a higher gear, so I'm where boost kicks in, so I have instant power. Keep it in the powerband and it's fine...

dmvirus

Feb 14, 2007
cebu, philippines
there are only three of us in the philippines that i know of. and mine is the only 1J the other two are 1gg. i had to order parts from the states and they wouldnt even ship it here, so i had to ask a friend to bring the damn gasket in the plane.
im having problems with even changing the fuel filter beacause there are none available. and changing my shocks would mean grabbing coilovers from a skyline.
im barely hangin on to the car but once i drive it itl always change my mind.hehe

DriftShin

DriftingShinobi
Aug 17, 2007
Lusaka
Its so consoling to know I'm not the only one having problems with mod parts. I also don't understand why the 1G had to be 2ltrs, it just ain't enough for the Supra. 1j makes more sense but even then they had to make the 3ltr, which just shows you that they too realized (a bit too late for some of us) that they needed more displacement, damn, 2j is just too sweet!!:cry:

I'm very interested in having someone fabricate the exhaust/down pipe for me (beta option for me anyway, that buying them having it shipped). What specs would i have to give them, diagrams e.t.c......?

btw, Clip, i love your sig (poor guy: "Dont worry, i'll take care of your wife buddy"; "Fck you dammit, u must have cut the tether!!")

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
DriftShin said:
I also don't understand why the 1G had to be 2ltrs, it just ain't enough for the Supra. 1j makes more sense but even then they had to make the 3ltr, which just shows you that they too realized (a bit too late for some of us) that they needed more displacement, damn, 2j is just too sweet!!:cry:
Well, do you know how long the 1G has been in production? There was a time where it WAS enough for a Supra.

The 1G was used back in the old Celica XX (Think MKII Supra). Back then, a 2L I6 making 140hp in a car weighing around 2400lbs was pretty potent. They just naturally moved the 1G into the MKIII as well. That's why it's there. You're right though, it wasn't enough for a "Performance" motor. That's why they released the Supra with several different motor combinations. You could get a 1G-GTE, 7M-GE, or 7M-GTE (Then superceeded by a 1JZ-GTE).

As for increasing the JZ to 3L, personally, I think it was for international image. It is nice though. When I went from 2.5 to 3L, the increase in overall power was insane. Torque everywhere :)

DriftShin

DriftingShinobi
Aug 17, 2007
Lusaka
annoyingrob said:
Well, do you know how long the 1G has been in production? There was a time where it WAS enough for a Supra.

The 1G was used back in the old Celica XX (Think MKII Supra). Back then, a 2L I6 making 140hp in a car weighing around 2400lbs was pretty potent. They just naturally moved the 1G into the MKIII as well. That's why it's there. You're right though, it wasn't enough for a "Performance" motor. That's why they released the Supra with several different motor combinations. You could get a 1G-GTE, 7M-GE, or 7M-GTE (Then superceeded by a 1JZ-GTE).

As for increasing the JZ to 3L, personally, I think it was for international image. It is nice though. When I went from 2.5 to 3L, the increase in overall power was insane. Torque everywhere :)

Would have been nice if they had started wit the 7M (1J beta). Is it the 1G was also used in the Mark II/Chaser/Cresta range with the 1G-GTE being used in the GT Twin Turbo (GX81)? Neva tasted a 2J, hell not even a 1J (more reason i wanted a Tourer V Chaser!!)

I've seen threads with swaps to 1J or 2J but really, how easy is it? Not asking for specs but how much hell would it give ya, from removing, putting in the *J, hooking everything up then testing?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
DriftShin said:
I've seen threads with swaps to 1J or 2J but really, how easy is it? Not asking for specs but how much hell would it give ya, from removing, putting in the *J, hooking everything up then testing?
Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. I can pull one motor, and put the second one into the engine bay in a day.

For a 1JZ, Wiring's a little time consuming, but it's straight forward. Just need to extend the harness, and swap a few connectors. The motor itself drops right in with no modifications.

For a 2JZ, it goes in about the same as a 1JZ, it just needs some additional parts, like 1JZ mounts, 1JZ flywheel, 1JZ bellhousing.

a 1G-GTE would be about the same as a 1JZ to install.

DriftShin

DriftingShinobi
Aug 17, 2007
Lusaka
annoyingrob said:
Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. I can pull one motor, and put the second one into the engine bay in a day.

For a 1JZ, Wiring's a little time consuming, but it's straight forward. Just need to extend the harness, and swap a few connectors. The motor itself drops right in with no modifications.

For a 2JZ, it goes in about the same as a 1JZ, it just needs some additional parts, like 1JZ mounts, 1JZ flywheel, 1JZ bellhousing.

a 1G-GTE would be about the same as a 1JZ to install.

1J just drops in you say? Makes sense why the 1J swap is so popular. Looks like I'd beta start looking for a 1J then, or hope someone trashes their Tourer V and sells the engine.

Still waiting for a response on fabricating a DP/Exhaust. Someone, anyone!?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
if he's already RHD, then no extending the harness...

I'd personally stick with the 1G and start modding it...

all it really needs is fuel and a large turbo to keep up...