1992 supra turbo runs rough with black smoke out the tailpipe

1992TurboSupra

Mar 21, 2007
Hayward, CA
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums so I'm not sure if anyone has had the same problem with their car. I recently bought a 1992 supra turbo that had a blown headgasket. Well I just had the headgasket replaced and when It came time to pick it up, the car ran idled but when we drove off it would stall out and puff out black smoke. My mechanic pulled the codes and he got the code for the Airflow meter. So i bought an airflow meter and put it on the car, but the car still runs rough like its about to stall and puffs out black smoke, i dont know what could be the problem but i already doublechecked all the emissions houses and connections and everythings right. If you have any advice or suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance, -Brian

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
check for ANY boost leaks...will cause car to run pig rich and will run shitty w/ black smoke.

badboysupra

Banned
Mar 22, 2007
Vallejo, Ca.
boost leak or an ignition system problem... check your coils, plug wires and plugs.

and the last thing it would be is a wrong ign. timing.

aite, peace.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Welcome to the forums!!!!

You had a blown Head Gasket??? That's really rare on MKIII's. lmao. J/K.

Empera suggested a great place to start. I would also check for wiring. When I took my Cressida in for some body work, they cut some cables, including some for fuel management. The car would idle some what normal, but would also stall at times, then when running would also smoke. I spliced the cables back to normal and no issues. I'm not sure that's your problem, but can't loose anything. You might bump into the real issue while checking. :icon_bigg