Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Truck in question:
p1716707_1.jpg

Dizzy that wont fit:
p1716707_2.jpg

p1716707_3.jpg

After a day of hunting local yards and finding NOTHING I decided to cut the damn shaft that wouldn't fit. I found out later model years had the shaft missing. Looks as if Toyota decided it was not needed. so here it is:
p1716707_4.jpg

p1716707_5.jpg

NOW A FEW ???s:

When I simply touch the distributor on the outside insulation of plug wire #5 I get shocked REALLY good. Is that normal? I can't recall ever having a plug wire that's attached to the dizzy shock me. :dunno:

It still runs rough, but I need to check compression and could definitely use new plug wires, cap and rotor. The motor sounds loud at the front. As if there's an air leak in the intake manifold. very strange. Are the 3vze's notorious for any kind of leak or source of loud noise?

I'll have to spend some time playing but for now, it runs, stays cool and definitely has more power than before. :)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Take a spray bottle with water in it. Spray down all plug wires. Grab a WELL INSULATED screwdriver. Touch the tip to something metal that's grounded, and lean it next to, but not touching- all the plug wires. If you see sparks jumping from the wires to the screwdriver, your wires are toast and need to be replaced.

It'll look much like having a spark plug connected to the plug wire, and turning the motor over with the plug grounded to something in the engine bay.

Sounds to me already like the wires are toast.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
yae that shaft ya just cut

if you get shocked like that you wires are toast and most likely is why it is missing

a fast way to find out if you have bad wires is use ddm digital multimeter

ground one test lead to motor and drag the positive lead along the wire tell it jumps on the meter

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Replaced plug wires, cap and rotor and it helped a small bit, but still runs rough.

Occasionally when I let off the gas it dies. Extremely frustrating. :(

There are no engine codes and I've checked compression and we're all good. I checked the ignitor and coil pack and both are in spec as well as the dizzy.

Check out the video below. It's now making a "go kart" type sound when revved. It didn't do that until just now. I'm afraid it wounds like piston slap or the beginning of rod knock... :(

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q203/suprarx7nut/?action=view&current=VIDEO0013.mp4

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Just did a second compression test. #4 has 40 psi. Wtf.

Damn thus truck, Haha.

How could I have 40 psi on a rebuilt pressure tested head and a new gasket on a cylinder that had full compression prior to the year down?

Argh!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited: