1991 1JZ GTE + Auto - struggling to rev past 4000 RPM

Mueller87

Mar 10, 2013
Norfolk VA
Alright so I have a 1991 MA70 with a 1jz swap out of a soarer. Auto trans, stock twins.

The only things I've added to the car are a greddy BCC and a manual boost controller. The car has ran perfect since I got it about 3 months ago. Ran perfect with bcc installed, ran perfect with boost controller set at 15psi.

Earlier this week I noticed that at wide open throttle the car screams like it should all the way to 4000 rpm and then you can hear what sounds like the exhaust bog down or "clog" up, as if it were struggling. Then the car has a lot of trouble revving higher, it's consistent but is just slower. Car maintains ~15psi through the rev limit, same as always.

If I drive the car at partial throttle it revs right past 4000rpm no problem, also the car revs up fine in neutral.

The previous owner tells me the wiring was done by Dr. Tweak.

Anyway, the car runs perfect the rest of the time, starts right up, idles just fine, and runs great up to 4k.

I have never seen the cel illuminate, but the rest of the instrument cluster seems to work.

If anyone knows another way to check engine codes or if this problem seems familiar or simple help me out! I have a list of fault codes that are allegedly for a 1jz out of a soarer, just not sure how to check them without a cel.

Looking forward to getting lit up for not knowing what to do already

ANDR3AS

Jul 21, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
the tweaked harness removes the cel but in placed puts a connector close to the ecu which you should be able to use to check for codes. at least that is how they wired my harness. the connector has two pins and it wont connect to anything behind the dash. look for something like that