1990 N/A starting problems and idling issues...

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
Ok, I've been searching/talking to a mechanic [His name is Cuel on SM/SF] but I figured I would see what everyone else thinks.

I have a 1990 N/A Automatic and it's having a hard time starting..
The Supra cranks fine but it will take 2 or more tries to actually get everything running. And even when I get it running I have to keep giving it gas so it won't die. I bought a new fuel pump [Walbro 255LPH HP] and a new fuel filter [Wix] and eliminated the fuel pump resistor [12v mod] and I bought a new starter, but if I let the engine sit for more than a couple minutes I have to crank it a couple times to get everything started again. I also cleaned and tested the ISC just in case that had anything to do with it.

My TPS is going bad [I think] so that might have something to do with it; but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them.

Sorry about all the brackets and if anyone needs more info let me know. I'm tired right now and can't think of anything else to add.

Edit: I don't think it's the Cold Start Injector either, because its hard to start even when the engine has been running for a while then gets shut off for more than a couple minutes.

Last edited:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I would test the TPS with a Digital multimeter or the cold start time switch iirc( One sensor on the T-stat housing).

Edit; Do you have any codes?

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
plaaya69 said:
I would test the TPS with a Digital multimeter or the cold start time switch iirc( One sensor on the T-stat housing).

Edit; Do you have any codes?

I have tested the TPS with a digital MM and its within the correct resistance.
I'll read through the TSRM and then check the time switch.

Also, I don't have any codes..

Last edited:

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Dragk913 said:
I have tested the TPS with a digital MM and its within the correct resistance, And I wouldn't think the Cold start injector would be messed up because the car is hard to start even when its hot. But later I will check the cold start with a multimeter.

Also, I don't have any codes..
The CSI still could be your problem. If it is stuck in the open position then it would always squirt a extra amount of fuel, the way I understand it. Have you checked the timing?

Dragk913

Broke Supra Owner
Dec 26, 2006
South Houston, Texas
www.myspace.com
AJ'S 88NA said:
The CSI still could be your problem. If it is stuck in the open position then it would always squirt a extra amount of fuel, the way I understand it. Have you checked the timing?

I had the timing checked last Thursday and it is running at about 14.

Does anyone know how to check the CSI time Switch?

Edit: I also jumpered +B and Fp in the diag box [that was suggested previously] and it did not help my car start:(

Last edited:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
More information: I reset his timing to 14, tested the tps, reset the tps, checked, cleaned(the stepper motor had some corrosion in it, and the grease was bad), and lubed the ISC valve. His motor is freshly rebuilt, and I checked the timing belt before he installed the motor. He bypassed the f.p. resistor, but haven't bypassed the stock relay and rewired the fuel pump with a new one(yet). All the injectors were cleaned and tested when the motor was rebuilt. I only have a limited amount of time with his car, as I have to work, and have a build of my own going. I'll try replacing the CSI this week end, though. I have an extra one, just need to test and clean it.

Edit: It did have a tps code(?), but I cleared it after I checked and adjusted it.

Last edited: