1990 Black Ruby Turbo

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
I'm not new, but this is my first actual Supra thread. I've been building a 7MGTE for about 15 years now and finally have something solid to put it in. I bought the car about a month ago now. It has a running engine but that goes to a buddy who is building an old Cressida. Meanwhile I'm going to get it running well so that my engine goes in smoothly and his car gets a nice running 7M.

Currently I need to find a new exhaust including downpipe w/ elbow for the stock CT-26. Right now it has a divorced downpipe and I'm not a fan. Next will be an aftermarket intercooler and piping. It already has a mixmatch of stock intercooler and aftermarket piping that I want to correct with all new stuff.

If anyone has their own suggestions, please feel free to chime in. Meanwhile I'll add some pics and updates as I fix up some smaller problems the car has.

11.jpg8.jpg2.jpg1.jpg7.jpg

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
The car came with a bunch of stuff that I really don't need, but I'll probably use since I've got em. Like a carbon fiber roof, stainless manifold and wastegate.20160221_174803.jpg20160220_133056.jpg20160220_133015.jpg

The only thing that I really don't want is this steering wheel. I'm currently trying to find a stock 1990 steering wheel. I don't know if the stock would be the burgundy color or back like most of them. Does anyone know?20160214_142059.jpg

My next hurdles will be a boost leak fix and some other littler things that bother me.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
if the vehicle DID NOT come with an air bag its a 3-spoke black only
if the vehicle DID come with an air bag its a 4-spoke wheel also black only
only the 88's and down came colour coded

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
I remember seeing this car on Craigslist! I was seriously interested until I found out it's a targa haha. Either way the car looks really nice.

Since the current engine is going to a Cressida what are you going to use?

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
Sorry for the late responses guys. I didn't have my notifications turned on on this thread and I didn't know I had responses. I've been working mostly on my 83 Toyota Pickup's 22R to get that running and looking nice. I've had it longer than the Supra so it gets priority.

Billybob9187;2071177 said:
How is the fitment with the CF Roof. Take some pics of the car today and let us see.

As for the roof, I was told it fits well. I haven't had it on yet the whole time I've had the car. I would like to try it out; I'll get a picture when I do.

Maple191;2071192 said:
if the vehicle DID NOT come with an air bag its a 3-spoke black only
if the vehicle DID come with an air bag its a 4-spoke wheel also black only
only the 88's and down came colour coded

I tell you what, that steering wheel info is the best I've learned about the car yet. Thanks! My car was an air bag car so now I know what to look for in the vast sea of Supra steering wheels! Sounds like it looks just like my old MR2's steering wheel.

Get_Smart;2071240 said:
Thanks djt, nice car you have there.

Thank you, it took a while to find one that was half way decent.

Supra28;2071865 said:
I remember seeing this car on Craigslist! I was seriously interested until I found out it's a targa haha. Either way the car looks really nice.

Since the current engine is going to a Cressida what are you going to use?

I had talked to the guy when he wanted a ton of money for it along with a bunch of parts I didn't need. I came back to it and asked him if he'd take less without all of the parts. We worked out a deal on it. It's a pretty nice car for the area too. Apparently it sat in the original owner's barn for 20 years with a blown head gasket. It only has 90k miles on it and the interior and body show it.
I've got an engine I've been building for a long time now; that will find it's way in the Supra once I get all of the parts the way I want them. I want to get the current engine running well first.

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
This car came with a boost leak that I knew about in the intercooler piping. The sway bar rubbed a hole in it so I did a little SolidWorks design on it to see if I could make a good fix on it.
I cut a piece of pipe that would hug around the sway bar but not touch it once installed. I also cleaned the pipe up since the previous owner left both ends very jagged. It was like it was cut with a hack saw!
Intercooler Pipe SolidWorks.jpgIMG_20160228_171836.jpgIntercooler Pipe Mill 1.jpgIntercooler Pipe Finished.jpg

And sorry if the pictures are sideways. I'll try to figure that out by the next time I post something.

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
I have been doing a few things to the car here and there. It had a bolt in place of the overflow nipple. I couldn't find one, so I made one. Now i just have to figure out what radiator cap to get; apparently there are two types. The one on there isn't deep enough to make a seal in the lower part, it would just flow out into the overflow. Anyone have a good suggestion on what to get?IMG_20160218_102124.jpgRadiator 1.jpgRadiator 2.jpgIMG_20160301_133551.jpgParts 1.jpg

I also had to remake the external blow off valve cover he had made. It wasn't sealing well because the holes weren't centered. I made one the shape of the flange and used the gasket that was there. The new hood struts helped hold the hood too. My daugter's pogo stick got to take a break once those were in there. :icon_bigg

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
I finally got the car retimed to 10 degrees, it was at 5. Started to back it down my driveway and drug through the WIX fuel filter the guy before me had put on. Had to push it back up the driveway and now there it sits.
I text the dude and asked him why he put it on there. He said that the old one was hard to get to and that the old lines were rusty. He decided to bypass it all and put another one on. The choice of spots was not so good in my opinion.
He also mentioned that he put a 55gph fuel pump on. But there isn't any mods like bigger injectors, pressure regulator, or Lexus AFM to take that upgrade. Could the car be running bad because of only having a bigger fuel pump? Thanks for any suggestions!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
255? 55 is super low.

If he put the fuel pump and didn't bypass the j tube it could effect it

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
I finally got the car retimed to 10 degrees, it was at 5. Started to back it down my driveway and drug through the WIX fuel filter the guy before me had put on. Had to push it back up the driveway and now there it sits.
I text the dude and asked him why he put it on there. He said that the old one was hard to get to and that the old lines were rusty. He decided to bypass it all and put another one on. The choice of spots was not so good in my opinion.
He also mentioned that he put a 55gph fuel pump on. But there isn't any mods like bigger injectors, pressure regulator, or Lexus AFM to take that upgrade. Could the car be running bad because of only having a bigger fuel pump? Thanks for any suggestions!

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
hvyman;2078342 said:
255? 55 is super low.

If he put the fuel pump and didn't bypass the j tube it could effect it

I read through his text message about it and be said 55. I have a feeling it's a 255 too.
I'll have to check to see if that that tube is bypassed. I have to figure out my fuel filter problem as well.

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
Here's a pic of the aftermarket fuel filter. I think you can see why I drug through it. Now I have to figure out how to fix it all correctly.

Attachments

• Fuel Filter.jpg
    Fuel Filter.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 36

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
I finally found a decent exhaust for the car. A guy down in Louisville Kentucky had a Driftmotion exhaust and downpipe he was selling. He said it only had 2000 miles on it. $300 bucks seemed like a awesome deal to me. Also got a new coil pack plug to replace my crispy one for $20.
IMG_20160522_140901.jpg

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
I didn't do ANY research on this, but does anyone know what the intake and manifold in the pictures go to? I cleaned the detached one then looked at this one for reference. I got it in a pile of traded parts; not sure what it's off of.

20161204_185742.jpg20161204_185825.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Looks like a 7M intake manifold, but probably JDM, since the throttle body lacks the pcv tube, and the egr port is blocked off.
The uninstalled throttle body is a standard USDM unit.

AIRICK

Apr 23, 2010
CINCINNATI
supraguy@aol;2085436 said:
Looks like a 7M intake manifold, but probably JDM, since the throttle body lacks the pcv tube, and the egr port is blocked off.
The uninstalled throttle body is a standard USDM unit.

Thank you Sir. I figured as much; I just didn't think that I would have just sitting in my garage. Do you know if they're a good alternative if you're deleting the whole EGR setup? I'm still tossing around the idea of deleting it.