1989 Turbo 5spd Hardtop Project

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
I bought a 1989 Turbo 5spd that I have known about for about 8 years, from when I first bought my 1987 N/A. The guy is local, very nice guy, but eccentric! I knew him to be someone who took care of the car as best he could. In the last 2 years he did (gave me receipts with mileage written on them for everything):

Head Gasket (head planed/shaved)
Intake Gasket
Exhaust Gasket
Valve Cover Gaskets
Turbo Gaskets
Timing Belt
Radiator
All Hoses
Clutch/Pressure Plate/Fork/Throw-out Bearing
New Drive Shaft/bearings
New Rearend (3.73) from a Supra that had 70K on it
Calipers
3 Brake Lines
Ball Joints
Tie-Rods
Sway Bar
Rear Window Defroster Repaired
New Plug Wires
New Slave Cylinder
New Body Mounts
Welded Frame Rails

He was always thorough with maintenance.

The interior is VERY good, and everything works, even the coach lights.

I could see where there were starting to be body issues, the worst ( I thought) on the drivers side door, with some rust on each side rear wheelwell, by the back window, and left tail- light. I dropped it off at the body shop last night to get it all repaired and repainted. He called me this morning and said he wanted me to see something, and get some pictures before he started repairing. It was a lot worse than I thought behind the quarter panel covers in front of the rear tires. I should've checked there I guess because that IS an obvious place for our good ol Pennsylvania salt roads to wreak havoc! The owner did drive the car year-round, but only 10k in 8 years. Good news, everything behind the rust is solid and he won't have a problem rebuilding the metal. In fact, he said other than the obvious rust he found, the car is solid. One other issue, the exhaust broke off right in front of the cat the other day. He is going to repair it, but it will be temporary. Once I get some more funds, I will replace downpipe and all. I also need to yank off those ghey Wal-Mart Turbo emblems lol.

Pics from the day I picked it up:

Last edited:

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Picked it up from the shop today. He only had the car 9 days. All the old bad metal cut out and replaced. I took it to the car wash between rain storms to wash off all the compound and clean up all the dust. I think he did an awesome job, and only $950.

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
Got the car out of storage today, and even though it's raining, my son and I switched out the sawblades for the new rims/tires. Nevermind the 4x4 gap, I am on vacation next week so will be installing the B&G springs and the Blitz Nur Spec. Just want to show the new rims......TSW Carthages, staggered fitment. 8" in front 9.5" in rear, 225/40/18 with +20 on front, and 255/35/18 with +45 in rear. After the drop and exhaust, and hopefully a sunny day, I'll post better pics.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited: