1989 Supra with 1991 Engine/Harness/ECU

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
Ok guys, a 300Zx guy getting into the Supra world needs a little help here.

Vehicle is a 1989 orginally turbo automatic with yellow plug harness converted to manual tranny. Engine has spun rod bearing. Replacement engine is from a 1991 with MLS/ARP and rebuild under 3000 miles with documentation. Pulled from vehicle due to rearend accident that totaled the vehicle.

The previous owner of the 89 has managed to destroy every connector on the harness and do some of the worst wiring I've ever seen. He also tried to create his own MAF housing using a 3 inch peice of tube and crushing the one end flat (to give you an idea of just how bad the wiring could possibly be).

I have the 1991 ECU and grey plug wiring harness that came from the same car as the engine. I have the 1989 TSRM and TEWD. I, however, do not have acces to a 1991 TSRM or TEWD.

What I need to know is are the body to engine harness plugs physically compatible (minus re-pinning) or will the 1991 body harness plugs need to be cut off that harness and grafted onto the 1989 body harness? Is repinning of either the engine or body harness required? If so, does anyone have access to a 1991 TSRM/TEWD that would allow me to determine what was neccesary to repin.

I have searched for a yellow plug harness and posted a WTB ad. I recieved a couple replies however no one ever got back to me when I returned their PM's. So I have given up my search for a yellow plug harness.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to make sure I included as much information as possible.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I am guessing you are talking about the M1, B1, B2 and B3 plugs. The plugs right next to the TCCS. If so IIRC late 89's- 92 are all the same. As long as they have a gray plug in color and not yellow they should plug right in.

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
92nsx;1221626 said:
I am guessing you are talking about the M1, B1, B2 and B3 plugs. The plugs right next to the TCCS. If so IIRC late 89's- 92 are all the same. As long as they have a gray plug in color and not yellow they should plug right in.

The connectors I have originally are yellow. The replacement harness is grey plug as is the replacement ECU.

I need to mate yellow to grey.

A 1991 TSRM and a 88 TSRM would be sufficient but I cant seem to find them. Only one for an 89.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Use your original harness/ecu. Just swap whatever sensors or electronics are different between the two motors, so that you're using your original stuff on the new long block, if you will.