1989 GE to GTE swap, unsure of a few plugs and lines..

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I have an 89 NA, I put a grey plug ecu in from an 89 GTE car, with the correct ecu, and GTE engine to match.. there is a few plugs that I cannot find (or plug in).

Everything else seems right, just a few stupid things.. more to come, tryin to get these few figured out first lol..

anyway, here are the pics.

Attachments

• 185.jpg
    185.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 184.jpg
    184.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 23

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
if i was at home id be able to get you pictures of each of those, but im at work, if nobody else comes along to help ill be home in a few hours. but off the top of my head one thing that pops up would be TEMS which is right there and i think the big one on bottom in the 2nd picture has something to do with boost but not 100%, my car has another one of those metal block things (honestly no idea what you call it)

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
found this on google, shows what a few things are on the side there, hope it helps a little more

6g3vzav.jpg

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
So i've figured out all of the vacuums now, just trying to figure out what this plug is supposed to go to.. the plug itself is right above the EGR in the picture.. it's white(ish) any idea what it is? Im still lost on a few of the plugs from my first post.. but I'm starting to narrow it down..

again, the motor, harness, and ecu are from an 89+, it's gray plug.. the car itself was an 89 NA 5 speed.

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
Oh shit I forgot to upload the pictures, I will get pictures of each individual plug the best I can for you then edit this post

im pretty sure the bottom one in your first picture is the same one as my last 2 pictures, wasnt plugged into anything on mine, the others are hard to tell but that is how mine looks, possibly one for abs?
http://imgur.com/a/ALwrn#Q6MOa

Last edited:

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
abs, might be it.. also I found that the one large square plug on the harness part that goes into the car, to the ecu, won't plug in.. it's a tad different.. and im thinking thats going to suck. How can it be different if it all came from the same year car?? Is this the 89 isn't 89 problem? lol

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
maybe you are trying to plug it into the wrong one? i have most of my wires unplugged right now if you need any more pictures

im doing something just like this myself currently lol, transferring my entire 89 (every wire harness too) into an 88 shell, hoping i dont run into any problems lol

nsngarage

Jan 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
lol good luck... it's one of the plugs coming into the passenger compartment, not the plugs for the ecu, but the other ones.. it's the square one..

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
I have 6 plugs on my engine harness, 3 for ecu and 3 that plug into the harness that runs above ecu

Interior plugs
EDyHk.jpg

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
I just finished my swap...Mine ran just fine without the injector resistor pack when I was n/a, but with the turbo engine it needs one. Weird.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There are 2 different 1's. 89-90 are the same and 91-92 are different. The 89-90 will plug into the yellow 87-88.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You cant. If its just a body plug they can be interchanged so long as the wires are in the right spots.

yellow plug turbo ecu's have 4 plugs and gray plug ecu only have 3.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If the body plug is a 89 harness and the engine harness is a 89 then it will match up. Sure you got it right? Pics might help.

If for some odd reason it is different could prolly just depin the connector and stick the wires in the right spots on the correct connector and not have to cut anything.

Would like to see the pics of both connectors.