1988 Toyota supra starting upgrades

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Hey all... figure its a good day for an update on the supra project.

I got the parts on the counter waiting to go into the motor. I had a 1992 4runner that I Was working on but ended up trading it for another turbo car. Regretfully it wasn't a toyota and it let me down today. Starter decided not to work after work while I was at the bank on my new little 1992 plymouth laser 5 speed. Bomb started it without issue and drove it to DQ and then home.

My plans with the supra motor might be taking a little bit of an in depth change of plan.

I have decided to do a complete rebuild on the motor and need some advice for some of the parts from people who have done this before. I am looking to break the 500 hp mark now and my plan of attack and advice questions are as follows.
1. bottom end rebuild including new rods (was looking at eagle but apparently they aren't that hot?dont know why) and pistons (want to find a middle of the road brand or one that sells a set for around 600 bucks for all 6) with clevite bearings, and thrust washers. arp all the way for all fasteners.
2. intake seems to be fine but wouldn't mind finding a new intake manifold
3. RC injectors (unless someone can point out something better for about the same money) I saw precision injectors but dont hear as many good things about how they operate
4. AEM stand alone engine management system
5. (if I have the money left from selling the laser) a turbo, exhaust manifold, downpipe, wastegate kit using the following kit
http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...ct_Code=TRB-KIT-7MGTE-KIT&Category_Code=7MGTE

I figure I will have about 3k from selling the Laser off.. I got given a manual boost gauge and a boost controller so once the car is back up and running I should be pushing 250hp in that small beast. All this money is going straight to getting the supra back on the road in the shortest amount of time possible.

Looking for current thoughts not 4 year old responses BTW so please don't ask me to use the damn search button. posting that irritates me beyond belief. If you don't know the answer or if its so easy to find, help the poor person out and get off your high horse. point them in the right direction and save the people from using the wrong searched information.

gaijin09

Dec 1, 2006
Hungary
www.carstyling.hu
Orion ZyGarian;1858041 said:
The biggest gains on a 7M will be from replacing the exhaust. Here's a picture of the factory downpipe/turbo elbow that blocks off the wastegate's flow compared to an aftermarket one:
p1862974_1.jpg

this is my exhaust (made myself...) in my garage :icon_bigg

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I think I might need more help on some of the specifics when it comes to picking the right parts here.

I am having a hard time deciding on the final turbo that I will be upgrading to by this time next year. I know its a long way off but it might happen next month.
I want to see what others that have built the great little 500-600 hp cars have used for their turbos and what supporting parts they used. keeping it simple.. what turbo did you use in your package?

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
If you're not going for an upgraded CT-26, you're going to need either a big T3 footprint turbo and manifold (Garrett GT35R, Borg S200, Precision 3431E, 6031, and I think you can get a T3 housing for a Holset HX35) or T4 manifold and T4 based turbo (S300, 35R, GT40, PT5862, etc.)

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Hey all, update from the grave (been a while since last post)

So I got under the hood of my big red beast and found some negatives to go with the positives on this car and rebuild.
1. original turbo compressor wheel is damaged and its pretty hard to turn the turbo.
2. steering rack and pump is filled with Power steering fluid.... states atf right on the resevoir.. I dont know how bad it really is yet.

I have decided to go with a driftmotion turbo package as soon as my little blue laser sells. I am also doing a full rebuild on the motor including new bearings and rings. I will replace anything else as necessary.
My question to the grand members are as follows.
I have read many times that clevite bearings has stopped making main crank bearings. is there a better bearing available or should I go with a stock replacement?
looking through ring sets I am wondering what set I should actually purchase, opinions on the best replacements I can get bang for buck (going to school and just want it to run like new)

I am on a budget or I would opt for a vvt-i 2jz or a 1uz vvt-i swap. I love the cars and will be spending more money later on big upgrades.

ps. I live in Canada so they have to be able to ship up here.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Pretty much everyone seems to go with the Clevites, regardless. I dont know where you read that theyre discontinued, but I doubt that's true. Dont buy rings and such until your engine has been to the machine shop and you know exactly what it will need. I recommend draining and flushing your power steering system right away, as all 3 of my Toyotas have had power steering fluid put in them, and all 3 have needed a new steering rack.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Well I am sending my engine to a machine shop to get the engine fixed up and decked for the MHG and ARP STUDS. I will wait to order the rings and such until the motor has been torn apart. I already have the gasket kit but have waited to order the MHG itself until the head and such has been checked and decked. Eventually I am hoping to have a supra running 25lbs of boost. This car will be getting around 16lbs with an AEM v2 universal controller. First the rebuild though.

what rings would people go with for under 20lbs of boost?

What site would be suggested to get the clevite bearing sets? The supra store carries all 3 sets at a reasonable price.

Can anyone tell me what MAP sensor to get from the wrecking yard to hook up and eliminate the MAF sensor. I do have the lexus AFM but I would like to eliminate it so I could get a larger intake going to the manifold. I will be hooking up the AEM after the car starts back up (after the rebuild)

Also, what is the best intake manifold and should I really eliminate the EGR system while the motor is out? I want the gas millage and will maintain it regularly. I have thought about the VVT-I 1jz swap. Thinking very hard about it but have to consider other projects might take priority (have a jet boat in the mix as well)

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
If youre that certain youre going to go JZ or UZ later, you might want to reconsider spending too much on the 7M right now. I personally was dead set on getting a 1J until I bought my 7M and havent looked back since. When you order a set of aftermarket pistons, they usually come with the rings supplied.

Do you have the AEM EMS yet? Usually people will order the kit that includes the necessary MAP sensor and IAT sensor.

You can get rid of the EGR system if you're going AEM, otherwise keep it. You will get better mileage, and the car is designed and tuned from the factory to keep it.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I am not certain. The repairs and items I am doing right now are just the basic repairs. If I decide to keep the 7mgte I will be getting another block off of a couple friends and rebuilding that one for the bigger boost. The turbo package I want should be able to handle it all. Just having a powerful nice car between now and then is all I am going for. I am not sure I am going to be replacing the pistons. If I can get away without doing so, I will keep the stockers. I will know more once the engine is in the machine shop this weekend and has been looked over thoroughly.

I was pretty depressed seeing that turbine wheel in the shape its in..... I will get a photo once the motor is fully pulled. Its down to unhooking the transmission and unbolting the motor mounts. I have to pick up the engine picker before I do that work though. hate to see it sit there without support and not able to move.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
oh... forgot to answer the question.

My friend is upgrading his AEM so I am getting the old one for helping him install the new one. No money, just friends having fun with friends. He also likes going salmon fishing with me and I am the king in this part so I think its a pretty fair trade.

ps. I love this site, I miss how nice toyota people are compared to the people I ran into on some of the other forums. a good example of this
rule #7 - improper spelling or grammar will result in an immediate account removal from the forum.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Turbos have come quite a long ways since the CT26, so if you have the chance to upgrade, I strongly recommend it. I think most people nowadays go the DriftMotion turbo upgrade route anyways.

That's a pretty sweet trade for the AEM I'd say. Keep friends like that close. I've helped out my friends install all sorts of stuff, including engines, transmissions, and supercharging one car, just because it's fun. The help is always appreciated, regardless of which side you're on.

Most forums are full of impatient people who will tell you to search, but I find that if you start off firm but helpful, more people will stick around and keep the Supra alive. Most of the answers found by searching are pretty far back in the archives now too, if you dont know what to search for exactly. Even after two decades, new parts and techniques are still developed to mod and repair these cars, so something that was popular 5 years ago (for instance, MAF-Translator gen 1 box, S-AFC, etc.) no longer is as relevant when you have better options (MAFT Pro, MAP ECU, AEM EMS v2, MegaSquirt 3, etc.)

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Lets just say that I am really looking forward to having the driftmotion turbo upgrade.

Can you explain what you think the best option is for me to eliminate the stock AFM to mate up to the AEM standalone.

I have been looking for upgrades that I can do in the long future to just about any motor and the one thing that I really REALLY want is hydraulic actuated or electronic actuated valve system.... that makes it so you dont have cams anymore. It seems a long way away but a huge increase over even the VVT-i system since you wont ave a timing belt or cam system to push. I want to be one of the first to do this to a 7mgte.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I would spend 40k making a camless 7mgte motor. If the technology was here that would make me very happy. I Could then apply it to a 1uz-fe and make a rock crawling/mud bogging monster :)

TOYOTA FOR LIFE!!!

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Gotta remember I mean no cams at all. No timing belt, just outright solenoids running the valves and a crank sensor telling the computer where in the rotation it is. Direct injection would be really cool as well especially if I could take some tech from the newer Toyota's and put it into my supra. I am still moving my radiator as well so that should be interesting. Maybe if I am lucky I will stumble on a couple of the parts I am looking for from the wrecking yard including a electric steering assist motor, a remote a/c compressor (prius a/c pump), coil on ignition (thinking I can run newer 4runner coils with the AEM setup) and the remote rear radiator setup (will be relocating the gas tank and eliminating the spare tire holder and venting the rear section from the side of the car)

I know I have dreams and wants, first thing is first and thats making some great power out of the stock setup. Then I Can order and build up the next motor with all the bells and whistles.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
no. but that is cool as well. I am refering to this
http://paultan.org/2005/07/14/camless-solenoid-valve-engines/
or
http://www.worldcarfans.com/112021041021/koenigsegg-is-developing-a-camless-engine---report

I would love to show that some of our older motors would be more then capable of being the best engine on the market with a new head and no more cams.

on other news..... I pulled apart my head and stopped at the valve cover. I am in need of a complete head at this point or 2 cams. Someone put an old camshaft from a wrecking yard open engine into my motor. Then used some form of head gasket repair stop leak crap (swearing uncontrollably on this end) and obviously it FAILED!!!

I am waiting on a super super super slow responder on kijiji about a possible long block where I quote "I have pitted water jackets so I decided to replace the motor"

I am also looking for a cheap ct26 or something close to it under 200 bucks (unless its a bolt on temp upgrade) and I might have found 2 available within a 8 hour drive of my house. I love the fact that I have a plymouth laser turbo during all this that I can beat to hell and drive anywhere and I dont care about the car lol I am totally neglecting the green little beast and I have to sell it to get my new turbo manifold kit after all said and done.

Thinking about the turbo. if I get my block back together before my friend has his done. I can borrow his turbo to test my motor and drivetrain. I have never driven this car so I will be changing out the fluids and checking all the seals around the whole car before it moves.. Each corner is getting totally broken down, cleaned and painted (thinking about fun colors for a red supra suspension system with chrome 5 spoke rims)

Once running I will also be moving the radiators to the back of the car. this will be a couple week project but I am working with a friend (mechanical engineer and turbo car owner) to make an enclosed rear radiator system that will be for sale in kits with full instructions after its completed. Just think about it, your biggest source of heat infront of your engine is gone. Nothing in your way and nothing stopping you from using this area to put your intercooler up in the main ventilation area. Easy piping and easy access is the name of the game. I will do this for us all and it will work for multiple different cars.
I am also waiting to do my final bit of body work including LED eyelids. I know what your thinking but I am gonna keep it slick and straight. right underneath the lip on the front bumper and the signal light area's are turning into air intakes.

My plans are huge and I know I talk things out but once the money is dedicated for this car it is in this car. I just want to make the cash do as much as possible without getting stuck mid build.