1987 Supra Audio

Ryan

Mar 22, 2009
Waterford
The speakers in my 1987 Supra blew out a little while ago and I was wondering what size speakers are they? I've heard that the rear speakers are some odd ball size. Has anyone replaced theirs with a good bang for your buck system? Im not trying to go all out or anything. I just want to be able to listen to some tunes while im flying down the highway. If anyone has had any experience or and suggestions on brands or anything please let me know.
Thanks alot.

-Ryan

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
I'll tell you what. I bought some 91 speaker cups to fit 6" up front.. and I jammed some 6x9's in the rear. ( If you want you can build your own custom cups, there is a write up on SM )

I bought a good deal kit from Walmart. Came w/ a Sony deck with MP3 player out, cord for mp3 player, pair of 6" speakers, pair of 6x9" speakers, Sony hat, remote.. for $90. I'll tell you even if it's not the best stuff for $90 it's a steal.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10569326

There is an audio section you should have gone there :p.

Ryan

Mar 22, 2009
Waterford
Sorry. I just saw it. If a mod could move it there for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Does that setup your talking about fit in the stock setup well? Other than the head unit, does it appear stock? How hard is it to install?
I know i ask alot of questions. sorry.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Yes, they should all appear stock. Again though, to get the fronts of that size to fit you need to make your own, or find some from a 91-92 supra. I got the rears to fit after some chizzling away at the stock rear plastic. Don't worry its not as bad as it sounds.... I still have the covers over them ( the ones that your cargo cover attaches to ) and you can't tell unless you take the speakers out. So yes, fantastic kit for the car... if your on a low budget. They also have one a step above w/a USB out which is very nice. I used to have one like this but when someone else had my car they got rid of it like an idiot.

91-92 cups w/ 6" speakers look like this from mine:
p1286643_1.jpg

Ryan

Mar 22, 2009
Waterford
Cool would the cover in the front still cover it or no? without getting the ones from 91-92?
I might be talking to you alot soon if i open this can of worms.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
With the stock speaker cups in the pre-91's I don't think you'll even fit your door panel on. Just make your own if your low on funds. Use the search button I know the thread exists but I lost all my bookmarks.

91-92 speaker cups go for about $100 in the FS section... but you really got to keep your eye out for a 91-92 part out since they are pretty rare.