1987 Auto trans problem

87 Supra

1980 MK1 Supra
Sep 20, 2007
Cincinnati
Hi, I’m new here but I’ve been searching the forums for quite some time. I’m having an automatic transmission issue and was hoping to get a little guidance on it. I used the search feature and have come up with some good ideas but none seem to fit my problem perfectly. My transmission shifts up through the gears too quickly and it wont down shift far enough when I floor the car. It really makes the car slow. If I use the shifter and shift through the gears manually it will hit them all. Could this be a solenoid of maybe the throttle linkage adjustment? No matter how hard I hit the gas it just won’t shift down.

87 Supra

1980 MK1 Supra
Sep 20, 2007
Cincinnati
Dragk913 said:
Do you have enough atf?

That’s the first thing I checked and she is full. Could it be the throttle positioning sensor? I saw a yellow paint marker mark on mine which tells me it’s more than likely used.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Do these have a kick down cable(I have a 5spd., haven't messed with an auto.)? If so, sounds like its out of adjustment.

yask4it

7m nut!!!
Oct 14, 2006
north carolina
I would almost garuntee that the kick down cable is either frooze or out of adjuatment.... Try pulling on the kick down cable and see if it moves if it does it probally just out of adjustment....

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Not even sure if this trans. has one. Some transmissions are electronically controlled via the tps sensor. Like I said, I have a manual, and haven't messed with the auto in one of these. Actually, the more I look at the TSRM, the more I think it works off the TPS(correct me if I'm wrong), as it calls for an adjustment of the throttle cable here: http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AT&P=19

You might also try this: http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=AT&P=13

Could also be a weak accumulator valve or regulator valve springs. See if you get any codes out of it.

87 Supra

1980 MK1 Supra
Sep 20, 2007
Cincinnati
Thanks for all your input guys its really appreciated. I yanked the TPS out of my parts car yesterday since I knew that transmission shifted ok. I put it in mine and the problem was solved. She drives like a new car!!!

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I have what sounds like the same problem but Im getting auto trans codes(as seen in my other thread). Im wondering if my problem is also the TPS, why would it throw trans code if its a TPS gone bad?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
87 Supra said:
Only the transmission codes. What’s your car doing?

It wont kick down when I floor it and seems stuck in 3rd gear until its fully warmed up.

Also throwing 2 codes showing lockup selenoid and no.2 solenoid is severed. I cant find anything wrong with the wires going into the solenoids or the solenoids themselfs.