1987 7MGTE / Drift Build

Sidewaysmk3

Aug 3, 2013
White Rock, British Columbia
So this is my drift build and first engine rebuild/build ever, I hope to hit 500+ HP at the end of it. Any helpful or corrective comments are 100% welcome! I apologize in advance for not having any pictures of the internal build up at first, they are on my friend's camera and he is up North, I should hopefully have them uploaded at the end of August :biglaugh:

The most I can remember about my engine's bottom end is that I used the stock rods, and a "rockauto master rebuild kit" which included; piston heads, rings, gaskets and oil pump.
I bought a cometic metal headgasket seperately.

I AM starting to have second thoughts as to if, while the engine is out, that I should reconsider purchasing higher quality bottom end components or not before continuing. I will be wanting to run around 20lbs. of boost, and for sure will be pushing the engine hard. So that leaves me to ask if anyone has any experience with rockauto products, and are they any good?..

Last edited:

ochocinco5k

Jul 31, 2012
boston,ma
Thought the sound deadening was easier to remove than that. All i used was an iPod, a hammer and a screwdriver. Got a pretty great percentage out, even in the spare tire area.

What suspension mods are you going to do ?

Sidewaysmk3

Aug 3, 2013
ochocinco5k;1958828 said:
Thought the sound deadening was easier to remove than that. All i used was an iPod, a hammer and a screwdriver. Got a pretty great percentage out, even in the spare tire area.

What suspension mods are you going to do ?

Yeah the dry ice apparently just makes it easier, and from what ive seen, leaves a cleaner surface. When I did it without dry ice, it left residue as you can see in the pics.
As for suspension, i was thinking Tein coilovers but theyre pretty pricey. I was also reccommended looking into HSD coilovers: http://www.driftworks.com/hsd-coilovers-toyota-supra-dualtech-monopro-jza70-jza80-z30.html which are a bit cheaper. Although i dont know the quality. I would like to do everything i can to make the whole suspension aftermarket. Everything.

Sidewaysmk3

Aug 3, 2013
ochocinco5k;1958846 said:
Well I have purchased, but not installed, a set of Beech arms. Quality is second to none and they're made in the US. And contact THMotorsports for Stance coilovers, they're stiffer, and certainly cheaper then TIEN's.

Heres a comparision thread between Stance and TIEN.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ood-opportunity-here...&highlight=ochocinco5k

Ya i have a few goodies from beech, ill get a picture of them later. That group buy deal for the stances seems like a nice deal, i remember them being a bit higher priced but their specs are impressive.

Sidewaysmk3

Aug 3, 2013
Beech Goodies.jpgBOV.JPGACT Street.Strip Clutch.JPGIntercooler.JPGTiAL 44mm WG.JPG

Here are some of my parts I've been collecting, definitely in the wrong order but oh well, they are all going in at the same time anyways! List;

- Aluminum power steering reservoir, aluminum coolant overflow reservoir, short shifter, steering rack spacers, lokar re-positionable stainless steel braided oil dipstick, solid motor mounts, bigger stainless braided oil supply line for the bottom end, clutch master cylinder brace, oil filter relocation adapter, aluminum alternator re-positioning bracket (mandatory for the FFIM I am soon to acquire)
- HKS Blow off valve that was included in the 7M intercooler kit from Driftmotion.
- ACT Street/Strip Clutch
- Intercooler that was in the kit (there is piping)
- TiAL 44mm External Wastegate

In a week and a half I will be ordering the aluminum FFIM w/90mm Throttle Body from RCturbo off ebay as well as a t4 spacer for between my turbo and header (damn compressor housing is too big and rubs on the header when i turn it downwards):: angry :: and hopefully some more SS braided lines and connectors for whatever i can switch them out for.:icon_bigg