1976 celica liftback GT with a VW 1.9 diesel TDI swap.

1986.5supra_kid

Rice? No its Corn (E85)
So i Maybe adding a new member to the toyota family.

i found a 76 celica that i maybe trading my dirtbikes for and i have a vw jetta tdi that has a rusted out chassis but lots of engine upgrades 370ft-lb @ 2200rpm

and the original 20r is blown up in the celica so i was gonna get one of those adapters for the VW to Toyota trans and hook a w58 up to the tdi and make a nice commuter car. that looks better and is more efficent than a prius or leaf or 2stroke moped.

will add pics of car later.

Mo87NA

1987 7M-GE & 1991 7M-GTE
Mar 31, 2005
Upstate NY
Very cool. I just picked up a 2013 VW Golf TDI. I love it. You can't beat 46mpg and some pep to go along with it!

I'll be getting the ECU reflashed next week using the Unitronic software. Besides that, I'll probably keep it simple.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Mo

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Such is to be expected of Japanese cars (any cars?) from that era. Hence why rust free Z's are so hard to find and tend to command healthy prices. First gen Celicas are in this same boat of desirable, yet hard to find in good condition.

Also, while a diesel may not be my cup of tea (I like my engines to rev, the 20R strikes me as odd in there, that should be an 18RG preferably), I can see the appeal. It won't sound as good as an 18R with ITB's, or the 7m that our other first gen Celica owner on here has in his car, BUT... it would be rather efficient, and probably good fun too.

However, all that said, with that much torque, you're likely to go through W58's more frequently than fuel filters. :p

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1900029 said:
I can't knock the TDI's power wise, but they can be expensive to maintain...
Certainly not much more than a comparable Supra engine though... Well, I guess they could be actually. I don't know that I've spent more than $100 maintaining my car in the past year if I'm honest. Not that I drive all that much compared to many people out there though.