1971 Impala thread

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Big Wang Bandit;987067 said:
So to the 4 people who read this thread.

Make that 5 if you weren't already including me.

Big Wang Bandit;988308 said:
Needs a new lifter. Thats where my horrible valve noises are coming from :/

You should replace all the lifters while you have the intake off. Not hard to do, just time consuming.

Ya know, after the carb, get a 700R4 transmission in there and you'll get 20 mpg easy! These cars don't have lock up converters and really need an extra gear.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
I dunno, I don't mind the 3 speed, but the turbo 350 is puny. My friend whos helpin me out may swap a 700R4 into his 71 Kingswood(big block 402) as its his work car, the 4th gear would help.

Yesterday We drove it to San Francisco, we used about a half tank of gas to get there and come back, albeit, he was doing about 80 the whole way there lol.

Yesterday we also intalled the new lifter, cleaned up the galley a little better, and the heads, New intake is bolted in, it looks silly. Basically the whole engine is assembled right now, Just a few finishing touches and we tune it this afternoon.

One thing thats bugging me is that with this carb, I'm going to need to find a way to get the stock trans kick down linkage attached :/. I'm pretty sure Edelbrock makes a kit so well find out.

I gotta buy some more coolant
Vac hose
Check on that kickdown deal

and thats all I can really think of.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
I bought an edelbrock adaptor kit. I had MONDO issues with my throttle cable today, so I bought a new one, that I'm going to strip and make work.

Tomorrow, it will run FOR SURE, everything is ready, minus the throttle :X

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
can't go wrong with a rochester quad. my buddy and all his carburetor wonder had a dozen sitting around.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Quadrajets suck. They never work like they are supposed too.

This carb I rebuilt may have just been bad. I had no previous knowledge on it since I got it from a guy who died. Well see whats wrong.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Everything is on, it runs like a dream, Test drive is fine.

I park it, check it.

Manifold is cracked around one accessory port. fucking shit. Its alright, it still drives fine. doesn't leak a lot. So i gotta go make a stop with it now, then tomorrow morning I gotta JB weld it up! wooo!

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
More crap going on, The car looks so trashy right now.

p1021716_1.jpg

SS Appearance package!!! I'm prepping the roof for paint.

Here are pics a friend took while we were working on the engine

p1021716_2.jpg

p1021716_3.jpg

p1021716_4.jpg

Adjustin mah valves. I have a video of the lifters going on my camera, Ill get em later.