15lbs of boost on stock waste gate,is this right?

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
:aigo: i just did the lexus maf upgrade and evo 560 injectors and the car is a hell of alot faster,on my way home from work tonight my car scarred the s out of me,i was playing around on the empty freeway and punched it in third and the tires let loose i was goin sideways 60mph plus,so i did it again and watched the boost gauge and it was hitting 15-16lbs of boost.Is it normal for a 7mgte with a stock wastegate to do this?
heres my mods
rebuilt 7mgte from a 92 supra
na high comp pistons
na cams
bic divorced down pipe
3inch exhaust no cats
large godspeed front mount intercooler
2.5 inch intercooler piping
ebay bov
lexus afm
560cc injectors
ngk plugs and wires
carter high flow fuel pump

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
not normal unless you have a boost controller, but thats not to far from the max limit of the ct-26. sounds like the wastegate is not working, either the arm has come off, hose has spit, or its siezed shut.

if you can get your hand near it, try to move the gate manually and see. it should go to the rear of the car to open. if you cant move it by hand then somethings wrong, as it only takes 5-6lbs of air to move it normally also check the wastegate hose is on.

and some pics would help to.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
tomsupra8683;1759680 said:
bic divorced down pipe
3inch exhaust no cats
large godspeed front mount intercooler
2.5 inch intercooler piping

Stock wastegate is 7lb or 7.5lb spring but having mods will allow it to open up more and depending on the whether it opens up even more.

When i put on my Intercooler and 2.5 inch pipes i went from 7 to 9psi and then did 3inch cat less turbo back went from 9 to 12psi no boost controller

Time for new tires for you though my friend

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Turbo Habanero;1759761 said:
having mods will allow it to open up more and depending on the whether it opens up even more.

Time for new tires for you though my friend

? Opposite.
His mods shouldn't allow 15 pounds IMO.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
OfnaRcR4;1759773 said:
? Opposite.
His mods shouldn't allow 15 pounds IMO.

LOL don't get technical with me :) think he gets the point.

I didn't think it would allow him to get to 15 either but idk i've heard some crazy numbers out of the BIC DDP.

OP- Check the little 4inch hose that goes from the Turbo to Waste gate Replace it and tighten that sucker down.

tomsupra8683

82gts7mgte
Mar 31, 2007
puyallup
The wastegate is working just fine,i can move it by hand and i replaced the hose with a fresh one.I can also rev it up and see it work.It was about 45 degrees when i hit 15lbs and i do live at sea level.I could use better tires but i dont wana blow the w58 just yet.Also this engine is in a 2400lb 3rd gen celica which may be some of the traction issue but it is sra.