$150 bet for me to run 13.5, need advice

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
Ok long story short, i have bet of $50 if I run 14.0 flat or lower and $150 if i run 13.5's or lower. So if I run faster than 14's, he pays $50 but if I run lower than 13.5's, he pays $150. if I run slower than 14 than I pay him $50.

All of this came from him saying when he had his 7m with a t67 turbo id how many years ago this was, at least 7, all he could do was 13.5 on street tires. He now has a t78 2jzgte in a sc400 running 11.3 just off the wastegate on drag radials so i know he can drive now, but I just dont think he was able to drive when he had his 7m lol. Some other ppl in our crew had some single 1jz and the same they could only muster 13.5 so he has doubt that i can break 14's and thats how this came about.

My mods are:
87 targa top shell,
no rear seats or spare tire.
eibach springs, stock tems shocks,
w58 and 4.30 lsd
jdm 7mgte, fresh new headgasket arp bolts
stock turbo @ 10lbs, bic ddp wastegate to the atmosphere, full 3" exhaust piping no cats or resonators,
Stock intercooler and piping,
i will be borrow my boys rims which are mustang cobra wheels wrapped in 255 nitto 555r's

I feel i should already be breaking 14's with what i have already if i nail the launch, any advice tho on getting to the 13.5? i have about a whole month to prepare, Thinking of getting some intercooler hardpipes 2.5 inch

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Remove your drivers seat and put the passenger seat in it's place. That will shave 80 pounds. Remove your spare tire tool bag that has the jack in it. Remove your glove compartment too since every pound counts. Also, over inflate your front tires by 5 pounds. If you can soften the rear struts as much as possible. Also, practice your launches. That's all I got for you.

Adam

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
honestabe;1279721 said:
Remove your drivers seat and put the passenger seat in it's place. That will shave 80 pounds. Remove your spare tire tool bag that has the jack in it. Remove your glove compartment too since every pound counts. Also, over inflate your front tires by 5 pounds. If you can soften the rear struts as much as possible. Also, practice your launches. That's all I got for you.

Adam

Yea i have the leather seat option with power driver so i plan on taking the driver out and putting the passenger in its place, pretty much from behind the front seats right now is gutted out. and the glove box isnt even installed yet since i finished the swap lol. I will over inflate the front tires.

I have read over the drag racing tips sticky, I know that getting the car to launch and hook will be the key. I think on the run im going to up the boost to 14lbs on the stock turbo with the 2.5 hardpipes,

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If you've read the sticky, you know what setup is required. Do that, and then practice, practice, practice. Even those of us who have done hundreds of passes still only get the perfect launch every now and then. Probably worth it to pay for a test and tune session where you get to race all day and put in 20-30 passes.

You shouldn't have any problems running 14 flat, I've done that with the same mods on SNOW tires.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Even driving the piss out of it, I can't see you running any faster than 13.80's. You'll get your $50, but not he $150. I do hope you prove me wrong though. When are you going to the track?? Please post the results. Good luck, and I do hope you win big.

On a side note, if he had a T67 on a 7m and could go any quicker than 13.50's... he can't drive. Even on street tires. I ran a best of 12.89@111mph with a "50" trim CT26 on street tires cutting a 2.0 sixty footer. Of course than was 7 years ago, and my car has been in the garage ever since. :(

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
Suprapowaz!(2);1279756 said:
Even driving the piss out of it, I can't see you running any faster than 13.80's. You'll get your $50, but not he $150. I do hope you prove me wrong though. When are you going to the track?? Please post the results. Good luck, and I do hope you win big.

On a side note, if he had a T67 on a 7m and could go any quicker than 13.50's... he can't drive. Even on street tires. I ran a best of 12.89@111mph with a "50" trim CT26 on street tires cutting a 2.0 sixty footer. Of course than was 7 years ago, and my car has been in the garage ever since. :(

going to the track april 25th and will post video and a time slip. what do you think is needed to run that 13.5 besides a bigger turbo? or what would be the most cost efficient to be able to run 13.5?

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you have a MHG? If so, pick up some 550cc injectors, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a lexus AFM w/ adjustable screw. Then attend a test and tune at the track, work on that 14psi tuning and you should be around 13.5 or better.

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
AjWit;1279777 said:
Do you have a MHG? If so, pick up some 550cc injectors, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a lexus AFM w/ adjustable screw. Then attend a test and tune at the track, work on that 14psi tuning and you should be around 13.5 or better.

no in 1rst new stock headgasket from jeff @ champion toyota with arp bolts,

i have a stock afm with the screw backed out so i can hit 14-15lbs of boost no problem. Ive read that ppl safely hit 14lbs on stock fuel with no problem with the stock turbo. I am thinking of getting a wideband tho so i can see where my air fuel ratios are at currently and maybe an afc to fine tune it a lil bit.

Im trying to improve my time , but still be budget friendly,

queenskid926

Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
funky_monkey58;1279791 said:
Tires, sticky ones. A good clutch, an r154 I have heard of allot of horror stories with the w58. And traction bars. Do what the sticky says.

i have an act heavy duty pressure plate, I plan on swapping to an r154 soon, if it breaks on the track then it will be even sooner lol

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
MKIII TURBO60-1;1279740 said:
take it to the track and do work son, do work!!!!!!!!

This...........:biglaugh:

I got beat by a ct26 this weekend in Texas. He had an automatic and ran a very impressive 11.77.
I have the pt67 and ran a 12.082 @ 116mph.

You're going to need lots of practice for sure. One missed gear or stutter by your engine and you're out fifty dollars.

jdma70

eat my boost
Jul 10, 2005
NC
wow you may have to pay that guy $50 haha.... j/k. Sarcasm aside, i believe u can atleast get your $50. I remember a guy on here before that ran 12.5 on a stock ct26 but i forgot his name. But he had slicks on and he also had 550cc's, Lex afm, walbro pump, and a AFPR. Think about it like this, if you get all this stuff before you hit the track, that guys is already paying for like 1/3 of those items...

But yeah, like other guys have said. practice alot.