14 psi on stock injectors and afm??

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
ok this supra is suppodly running 14.5 psi opn stock injectors and AFM. He has an HKS FCD, apexi avcr and an AFM. Is this a safe setup?

sorry new to upping the boost and electronics so if u need more info just ask.

Im just curious.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
TurboWarrior said:
its possible. If he has an safc or fpr, something like that. If not shes gonna blow!
not necessarily.. if the a/f is within check then will be fine.. I would assume it would be ok.. the factory ecu runs very rich stock.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
fuel cut is there for a reason...you may be fine, but you run the risk of running lean and burnin' up. I wouldnt run with an FCD without having a wideband (and the cash on hand for a rebuild kit incase you do burn up)

EDIT: woah, intercepted :)

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
a wideband is a little cpu that shows ur ratios and air/feul mixtures and all this right?? sorry, once again im a noob to these electronics

only electronic mods are these:
Apexi AVCR
apexi afr
hks fcd

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
HKS FCD will avoid fuel cut.

It's possible to run this setup, but there's nothing "safe" about it.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Getting rid of the FCD.

All an FCD does is it's a signal clamp. Once the signal from the AFM exceeds a preset value, the FCD just lies to the ECU and reports that preset value instead of the real one.

Think about that, no matter how much air is moving into your motor, the FCD stops the computer from seeing it above a certain point. This means there is no additional fuel added for that air.

An FCD on a MKIII is a recipe for disaster.

You keep saying he has an AFM. What do you mean? A Lexus SC400 AFM, or a stock one?

Removing the FCD, and swapping to a Lexus SC400 AFM with 550 cc/min injectors would make it safe.

If he doesn't want to get the injector/AFM combo, remove the FCD and take the boost down to about 12 psi and it will be fine.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
tissimo said:
not necessarily.. if the a/f is within check then will be fine.. I would assume it would be ok.. the factory ecu runs very rich stock.

I kinda doubt it if he just swapped to the lexus afm. which seems to be the case. Original post is a bit confusing

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Supracentral said:
Getting rid of the FCD.

All an FCD does is it's a signal clamp. Once the signal from the AFM exceeds a preset value, the FCD just lies to the ECU and reports that preset value instead of the real one.

Think about that, no matter how much air is moving into your motor, the FCD stops the computer from seeing it above a certain point. This means there is no additional fuel added for that air.

An FCD on a MKIII is a recipe for disaster.

You keep saying he has an AFM. What do you mean? A Lexus SC400 AFM, or a stock one?

Removing the FCD, and swapping to a Lexus SC400 AFM with 550 cc/min injectors would make it safe.

If he doesn't want to get the injector/AFM combo, remove the FCD and take the boost down to about 12 psi and it will be fine.

Yeah, FCD is bad juju.... My car had one when I bought it, it was actually messing with the SAFC, so I yanked it. Read later that it was a bad mod in the first place.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
yea fcds are bad when you dont know what you're doing.. if you know how they work and setup the system properly, they can be a great aid... but afc (or similar) is far better imo

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
FCD + AFM = Fail.

Well, without monitoring systems and tuning capabilities, it's not recommended at all.

With that being said, sort of off-topic, but not really...
When I backed out the Unmetered Air Screw in the stock AFM...
At one point, I was hitting 18psi before hitting fuel cut.
So...Doing this route is "safer" than an FCD...but still doing the same job.
Yes, that was 100% accurate reading...but the turbo was just blowing hot air at that point. :)

-Jeff