14.7 @ 92mph, Rev Limiter or Tranny?

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
ok so i made about 7 passes tonight at PIR and the best i got was a 14.7, the thing is coming out of first(auto in D) it goes all the way til redline and just bounces off of it and will not shift until i let off, this is killing my times, when i manually do it, it is a bit better, but still does it some, is this my rev limiter or is it my new tranny. I just had the tranny rebuilt and it has shift kit in it, and im starting to think they made 1st gear go to long?????

cadman

Computer Aided Drafting
Aug 10, 2006
Oregon
89Turbo said:
ok so i made about 7 passes tonight at PIR and the best i got was a 14.7, the thing is coming out of first(auto in D) it goes all the way til redline and just bounces off of it and will not shift until i let off, this is killing my times, when i manually do it, it is a bit better, but still does it some, is this my rev limiter or is it my new tranny. I just had the tranny rebuilt and it has shift kit in it, and im starting to think they made 1st gear go to long?????

Hey, I saw you down there, White Auto with no rear interior right? Thanks for coming up and saying hey. It was nice to see other Supras out there.

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
ok so i checked it today all warmed up, and idling, i think i may have found the problem, it is overfilled, its a good inch past the HOT mark everytime i check it. Could this be causing my shifting problem? best bet is to probably drain it, change the filter, and refill with the correct amount.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
89Turbo said:
ok so i checked it today all warmed up, and idling, i think i may have found the problem, it is overfilled, its a good inch past the HOT mark everytime i check it. Could this be causing my shifting problem? best bet is to probably drain it, change the filter, and refill with the correct amount.

Probably a good idea, but im not so sure its nessecary to change the filter right away, though it wouldnt really hurt. just take some out and check the level.. but if you do drain it fully, make sure when you refill it, you run it through the gears a few times before you check the level... and that it makes it up to operating temp.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
when you check the tranny level:

drive it for about 15-20 min. then while it is still running take it out of park and shift to R. wait about 3 sec. shift to N. wait about 3 sec. shift to D, etc then put it back in park. then check the level. while you are checking it make sure it doesnt look or smell burnt.

after that, be sure your line pressure cable is adjusted correctly. hold the throttle wide open (w/ the car off obv) and make sure the crimp on the cable comes to where the red arrow is. if not, loosen the lock nuts and adjust it til it does.

wotmorangecover0inm.jpg

lastly, make sure you have a real tranny cooler on there. drag racing will really make it boil if not.

good luck

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
dbsupra90 said:
when you check the tranny level:

drive it for about 15-20 min. then while it is still running take it out of park and shift to R. wait about 3 sec. shift to N. wait about 3 sec. shift to D, etc then put it back in park. then check the level. while you are checking it make sure it doesnt look or smell burnt.

after that, be sure your line pressure cable is adjusted correctly. hold the throttle wide open (w/ the car off obv) and make sure the crimp on the cable comes to where the red arrow is. if not, loosen the lock nuts and adjust it til it does.

wotmorangecover0inm.jpg

lastly, make sure you have a real tranny cooler on there. drag racing will really make it boil if not.

good luck

thats some in depth shit man thanks. the little metal crimp thing you are referring to comes out about a half an inch past the end of the boot, so that means i need to adjust it right?

Last edited:

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
the further it is out the higher the line pressure. i had thought maybe you didnt have yours adjusted out far enough, but doesnt sound like thats the case. it shouldnt cause an issue being a little higher, but you could back it down a bit and see if that helps anything.

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
somebody who was at the track today said it sounded to him that i was running lean also, he said he heard a popping noise in every gear from 5k-6k, somehow meaning it was lean. I got to thinking also, maybe it only did that in first gear because i was running at the track with very little fuel and the pump could not get enough to the injectors at 6500rpm????

BTW- others say they didnt hear it or it was just my rev limiter, but none of these people have Supras......

Last edited:

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
If you have a vfpr, you should be okay with fuel, if you are not trying to boost too much. You probably are hitting the rev limiter, and you could have a spark issue as well. Cheap plug that works well, but should be changed at every oil change interval is the Autolite copper, gapped to .029 (or thereabouts) Those times are just about right though. My son ran a 14.4 @ 99mph with just a Megan dp and 3" catless Blitz, and mbc @ 12psi.

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
91T breezen' said:
If you have a vfpr, you should be okay with fuel, if you are not trying to boost too much. You probably are hitting the rev limiter, and you could have a spark issue as well. Cheap plug that works well, but should be changed at every oil change interval is the Autolite copper, gapped to .029 (or thereabouts) Those times are just about right though. My son ran a 14.4 @ 99mph with just a Megan dp and 3" catless Blitz, and mbc @ 12psi.

thanks for the info Tom and the TorqueFreaks certificate, anybody else?

BTW what am i supposed to do about this rev limiter problem, its obviously hindering my performance because i have to let off at the end of first.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Hey, that picture of the throttle adjuster nuts thingie, that's my thumb. :p

*Note to self* Dave saves my pictures, so don't send any more naughty pics.

:runaway: LOL J/K.

I know you said that you had a shift kit...and I'm not sure if you still have the "NORMAL/POWER" button, but if you do, when you are taking off and going from 1st to 2nd, make sure it's on NORMAL.

When I used to always leave it in POWER mode...When launching, it would go all the way to like 6275rpms and would occaisionally bounce...which was definately an issue to me.
Putting it on NORMAL allows its to go just a few hundred RPM's away from Redline and shift smoothly AND quickly. :)

It's become 2nd nature now that once I've got into 2nd gear, I put it back into POWER mode because I never bounce in 2,3 or 4th and it goes all the way through the powerband. Not sure if you even have this anymore, but if you do, try that! :)

Jeff

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
kwnate said:
You're welcome for the tourqefreaks cert.

Hope you figure out the problem, and no more drifting.

lol thats right you gave it to him that gave it to me, thanks Nate, yeah im done drifting, learned that lesson

i've realized there are some very good people in the Supra community it was friggin sweet to finally meet up with some fellow Supra owners at that meet even if my car is slow and ugly i still love it. Cant wait to compete in the Supraman Challenge next year wherever the event may be.

Last edited:

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
Jspec7m88 said:
Hey, that picture of the throttle adjuster nuts thingie, that's my thumb. :p

*Note to self* Dave saves my pictures, so don't send any more naughty pics.

:runaway: LOL J/K.

I know you said that you had a shift kit...and I'm not sure if you still have the "NORMAL/POWER" button, but if you do, when you are taking off and going from 1st to 2nd, make sure it's on NORMAL.

When I used to always leave it in POWER mode...When launching, it would go all the way to like 6275rpms and would occaisionally bounce...which was definately an issue to me.
Putting it on NORMAL allows its to go just a few hundred RPM's away from Redline and shift smoothly AND quickly. :)

It's become 2nd nature now that once I've got into 2nd gear, I put it back into POWER mode because I never bounce in 2,3 or 4th and it goes all the way through the powerband. Not sure if you even have this anymore, but if you do, try that! :)

Jeff

SWEET, im going again this weekend i'll give that a shot along with everyone elses tips.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
89Turbo:
So you DID have it on POWER? If you did, I will almost bet my car that it will work when you put it on NORMAL! :) Just find an open stretch of road long enough for you to go through 1st gear and the start of 2nd, just make sure you switch it back over to POWER once you've gotten into 2nd gear so that your other RPMs will go all the way through the RPMs. :)

Jeff