12v Mod Stopped Working

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
For some odd reason my car wouldn't start. It woul turn over but not start. So my first thought was to check fuel, so I put the jumper between b and fp to see if fuel was running through and nothing so next I check my fuse for my 12v mod and it's fine. Then I swap out the relay, and nothing. Next I redo the connections and the ground and nothing. I decide to just connect the two wires coming from the fuel pump as they used to be and the car starts.
At that point I decide to see if there was an issue with my positive traveling through the car and I get connections all the way through. So I decide to check fuses again. My wiper fuse was out I swap that and check my fuse for the Mod again and it's blown now... Swapped it out and reconnected the relay properly as per mod instructions and the car starts.
I assumed I solved the issue until this morning when I was leaving for work and the car wouldn't start. Wiper fuse is out again but the mod fuse is still good. To get to work I had to bypass the mod again. Any ideas what's going on??

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
proto_mkiii;1841645 said:

What don't you get? The 12V mod can't stop working. Somebody can wire it poorly, and lose conductivity, but the mod can't actually fail I am just making sure you understand how it works.

And you answered your question in the first post. You jumped the fuel pump and it didn't run. Take your meter to the pump, jump it, and see if you get B+.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
FP is directly connected to the pump, no relays or anything in its path, including the COR and the pump speed relays.

If you connect B+ to FP the pump better run or you have a defective wire to the pump, or a bad pump. The 12V mod should not have any impact on that test.

proto_mkiii

Aug 14, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA
Problem solved. A bad wire at the start of my connections was allowing only a small amout of voltage to carry through. Must have gotten corroded. I decided to run a new wire from my positive battery terminal to the fuse and all is good. I'm resetting my ecu since I'm sure my car learned how to drive with everything behaving poorly. Thanks for the help guys.