10mm or .40

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
So I'm searching for a conceal carry gun as my s&w 659 is just a lil to large to conceal easily since I'm not the biggest guy (6' 140lbs, my metabolism eats me out of pocket)
And also a fun gun since I'm not rich enough to have the amount id like.
so I've been looking at a Glock 27 .40
Or a Glock 29 10mm.
The difference in ammo price is negligible although I would have to shop online for 10mm since I havnt seen any in a shop in the last 6 months.
I've never shot 10mm but I've heard it called the best outdoor/pp round. Anyone here have comments on them?
Unrelated to conceal carry:
the g29 only has a 15 round extended magazine available, where as the g27 has 31 round (aftermarket) and 22 round factory fun sticks available. Would anyone say a 10mm is worth more fun than an extra 7-16 rounds?

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
I chose a .40 just because it is an easier round to obtain (and in my area, cheaper). From a ballistics standpoint, I've heard arguments for either being better or worse than the other, so I can't really help there.

One thing worth considering, I now a .357 barrel is available for purchase for the .40 models (22, 23, 27) - I'm not sure if it's likewise available to the 10mm models or not. I haven't seen any, but I haven't really looked, either.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Lately for carry, I'm really happy with the FN 5.7.

20 rounds in the mag, light and easy to carry, no metal on the outside, it's completely polymer covered.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

The 40gr "sporting" ammo I use is not going to over penetrate, has little recoil, is absolutely accurate at ranges most pistols don't even attempt, and the whole package is lightweight. Did I mention it's light? Holy crap it's light. Pick up a loaded full size polymer frame auto, like a Glock, and then the FNS, and you wonder if it's empty, or missing something? Nope, loaded with 21 rounds, and ready to go.. Just light.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Downside is cost of the pistol and ammo, but upside is you do not really need to carry more than the 20 in the pistol. (I do not bother with a spare mag on me, but keep it close by.)

Upside is you can justify a PS90.... Need I say more! :) LOL

My two carry options lately. Light and lighter.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
turbo87targa;1816174 said:
And also a fun gun since I'm not rich enough to have the amount id like.

.40 over 10mm in that regard, strictly for ammo costs.

The new XDMs is avaliable (or soon to be) in .45, may be small enough for you.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Justin;1829865 said:
.40 over 10mm in that regard, strictly for ammo costs.

The new XDMs is avaliable (or soon to be) in .45, may be small enough for you.

The XDM is available as a 3.8 Compact or 4.5.-- 9MM, .40 or 45ACP. Decent gun at a decent price. I like my 5.25--45ACP.
I have to agree with Mike as far as carry, 45ACP.
Don't know if you like 1911's, but you might want to look at a Sig. 1911 RCS, 45 ACP. They cost around $1100. Nice concealed carry.
I love my Sig. 1911's, then there is always Les Baer.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
SWD Fredester 3;1829945 said:
The XDM is available as a 3.8 Compact or 4.5.-- 9MM, .40 or 45ACP. Decent gun at a decent price. I like my 5.25--45ACP.
I have to agree with Mike as far as carry, 45ACP.
Don't know if you like 1911's, but you might want to look at a Sig. 1911 RCS, 45 ACP. They cost around $1100. Nice concealed carry.
I love my Sig. 1911's, then there is always Les Baer.

I'm referring to the XDms specifically, not the Compact.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Adjuster;1829801 said:
Lately for carry, I'm really happy with the FN 5.7.

20 rounds in the mag, light and easy to carry, no metal on the outside, it's completely polymer covered.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

The 40gr "sporting" ammo I use is not going to over penetrate, has little recoil, is absolutely accurate at ranges most pistols don't even attempt, and the whole package is lightweight. Did I mention it's light? Holy crap it's light. Pick up a loaded full size polymer frame auto, like a Glock, and then the FNS, and you wonder if it's empty, or missing something? Nope, loaded with 21 rounds, and ready to go.. Just light.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Downside is cost of the pistol and ammo, but upside is you do not really need to carry more than the 20 in the pistol. (I do not bother with a spare mag on me, but keep it close by.)

Upside is you can justify a PS90.... Need I say more! :) LOL

My two carry options lately. Light and lighter.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

This will probably be my next gun. Checked one out the other day at the shop, and it just feels right, just like my 1911s

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Five-Se7en gets expensive because of the ammo (reloading is not recommended at all)

I'll also say that .40 is far easier to obtain compared to 10mm. Some people shy away from it, but 9mm is fine too :) 38 and 380 are better than nothing, but most ammo doesn't meet the standards for penetration for a defensive round.

There's a lot of different companies out there that make excellent guns. Glocks are reliable, but some people don't like their triggers, some get slide bite, and they're quite thick for concealed carry (they're considerably thicker than a 1911 for instance).

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
My sister carries a Walther 380 with her when she's commuting between college and home, just in case. I didn't even know she had it until I noticed it sitting on the counter at my parents' place recently. Nice little gun, light, but has enough weight (and small enough bullets) that I don't think it would be hard to defend oneself with one.

Reminds me, it's getting to that good weather around here, I need to buy a box of ammo for my brother's 1911 and see if I like it.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
te72;1830395 said:
My sister carries a Walther 380 with her when she's commuting between college and home, just in case. I didn't even know she had it until I noticed it sitting on the counter at my parents' place recently. Nice little gun, light, but has enough weight (and small enough bullets) that I don't think it would be hard to defend oneself with one.

Reminds me, it's getting to that good weather around here, I need to buy a box of ammo for my brother's 1911 and see if I like it.

Maybe it's just me, but I really like 1911's---45ACP., my wife prefers her 9MM 1911's over the others.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
If you are dead set on one of those two, I'd pick .40 because of ammo availability.
I'm biased on this subject, but I have to recommend a sig .45 :) My regular is a Sig P220 Carry model. It is a single stack .45, really comfortable to conceal. VERY comfortable to shoot

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
I really fell in love with a five seven a fellow range goer let me try, but was heartbroken at the cost lol
I think I've ruled out the 10mm based on ammo rarity and price, which now has me torn between a .40 and 9mm.
Power vs numbers.....

When it comes to guns (and most of my "hobbies") I have champagne taste with a soda budget. Id love a sig or h&k but I'll end up with a glock or s&w...which is still fine by me :)

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
flight doc89;1830626 said:
If you are dead set on one of those two, I'd pick .40 because of ammo availability.
I'm biased on this subject, but I have to recommend a sig .45 :) My regular is a Sig P220 Carry model. It is a single stack .45, really comfortable to conceal. VERY comfortable to shoot

P220 Carry is real nice, also like the P220 Equinox.

turbo87targa;1830714 said:
I really fell in love with a five seven a fellow range goer let me try, but was heartbroken at the cost lol
I think I've ruled out the 10mm based on ammo rarity and price, which now has me torn between a .40 and 9mm.
Power vs numbers.....

When it comes to guns (and most of my "hobbies") I have champagne taste with a soda budget. Id love a sig or h&k but I'll end up with a glock or s&w...which is still fine by me :)

For me, as long as you enjoy your time at the range, that's the most important aspect of shooting. Choose what you can afford and shoot well, make sure you hit the bulls eye!

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
SWD Fredester 3;1830406 said:
Maybe it's just me, but I really like 1911's---45ACP., my wife prefers her 9MM 1911's over the others.
I'm with this guy. m1911 variants have been in service for 101 yrs apparently. They are very accurate (even when you don't have time to aim), and they handle very well.

As far as rounds go .45acp is about perfect for self defense.

As far as 10mm goes it's not cheap, but I'd get that over a .40. But take into consideration that the FBI won't use 10mm because it is powerful and has the potential (and very high probability) of going through the initial target (possibly hitting an unintended target)

If you want something for fun, just get whatever's cheapest. (9mm, right?) (i'd say get a browning or a beretta )

SIG's are very nice as well ;)

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Adjuster... M&P and Five-Seven...... Great combination for carry weapons.

I EDC and cycle between my M&P9 or my Glock 22.

I'm comfortable with both, shoot both well and trust both to do what they need to do in a case of personal defense.

For sake of convenience, cost and capability - .40 all the way, IMO.

if its between .40 and 10mm... .40 is IMO your best bet. despite how most people feel about them i love my 9mm's i had a pt92afs i just sold before deploying, and when i get back im picking up a glock 19. i dont need an expensive/match grade CC weapon so the so the glock with a serpa holster is IMHO a great cc'd package.

butttt its not like i shoot things for a living or anything like that... ;)