$100 82 L type gets 7mgte swap, paint, P type conversion, suspension, ect ect

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Stage 4, 2300 lb pp, unsprung 6 puck

T3-T4 adapter

Exhaust mani

Clutch is in, welded up diff is out (whew) pulled it out the shop on its own power which was nice, but its still on the bad turbo :)

Bogwon

Dec 1, 2012
Bremerton, WA
Just read the whole thread... Man what an awesome project this has been! Great looking car and awesome job with your swap! I think you'll like the wier performance diff, I just put one in my MK3 along with some new seals and berrings. It's nice not chirping the tires just making a slow turn. Can't wait to see your new turbo set up on that 7M! Good luck man and keep updating that thread with more pics!

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Bogwon;2024658 said:
Just read the whole thread... Man what an awesome project this has been! Great looking car and awesome job with your swap! I think you'll like the wier performance diff, I just put one in my MK3 along with some new seals and berrings. It's nice not chirping the tires just making a slow turn. Can't wait to see your new turbo set up on that 7M! Good luck man and keep updating that thread with more pics!
Thanks a lot!! I daily'd a welded for like a year, it did suck in all reality, and Im sure was hard on axles, I have a set of slicks to go on so no way Id wanna be welded with those... Ive only moved it in the parking lot but so far clutch feels great, rear feels good, the 3.7 will fit the car a lot better, I know with the power I plan on Im gonna blow a trans of rear or driveline but whatever Ive got spares including a R154 so oh well!

TheMechanic253

Aug 11, 2014
Puyallup
Looking good man. How Do you plan tuning the engine with the HX35? I'm building a 7m with a large precision turbo. What is your power goal?

The end product of replacing the bushings is amazing too. Keep it up!

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
TheMechanic253;2024667 said:
Looking good man. How Do you plan tuning the engine with the HX35? I'm building a 7m with a large precision turbo. What is your power goal?

The end product of replacing the bushings is amazing too. Keep it up!

Thanks! Tuning tools will be wideband and GM MAFT. First part will be stock injectors and Ill just take it to fuel cut which I imagine is 11 psi or so, then Ill move up to slightly larger injectors (since maf tuning for injectors messes with timing) like 550s once the clutch is broken in, probably hit fuel cut again at like 16-17psi, then Ill do a water/meth injection set up, which should put me at my goal which is 450whp or close to it

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Mar 3, 2009
Indiana
Is that an h1c with an 18cm turbine housing? If so, might want to swap the housing for the gated 12cm housing instead.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
AcIdBuRn02ZTS;2026322 said:
Is that an h1c with an 18cm turbine housing? If so, might want to swap the housing for the gated 12cm housing instead.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

It is yeah, pretty ridiculous size when Im used to 7 and 8 cm DSM stuff, but Ill be using this one at first, then going to a billet HX35 once I need to step it up. This is the "middle" H1C, which is non intercooled 6BT, 50x82 comp wheel, its hard to find specs but looks pretty tame like slightly better than a 20G.
Ive been sick as hell, but should fire her up this weekend once the rest of things come in the mail

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Oil drain done, will get some heat shielding and hope it doesn't get scorching ass hot

Cold side piping all squared away

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Got a lot done tonight. Drilled and tapped the comp housing for boost fitting, ground down some nuts to clear the mani and bolted the turbo down, clamped the remaining intercooler piping, started on downpipe, v band on, O2 flange on, just have to put flex section on and tie it back into the existing, the wastegate dump tube is built, vacuum lines with MBC, I literally just have a few things left! It's driving in and out the shop to work on so that's nice, just need to do bov flange, some heat shielding and tidying up wires, intake pipe, that's about it. Should be Rollin tomorrow night

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Ah these are the slacky updates that I like. I havent updated cause Ive been driving and enjoying the car...hahaha! So Its first day out was Oct 25th, and it totally went off without a hitch! New rear end set up, new clutch, totally different turbo, its all working flawlessly from day one, no hiccups, no burnt lines (amazingly) Nothing to report but lots of top end. Im trying to score a 12cm non wg housing, this 18.5 cm is a bit laggy, I get full spool at 4200, but I know it will be a lot better so Im not worried, it is still totally useable. The Weir LSD rear is freaking perfect, super smooth pretty much no chatter, and always burns 2, on sliding I cant tell any difference from a welded diff. So heres a start up vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0vfwibN7lg
Im not using a boost controller because even with it backed out it hit fuel cut at 16 psi and still no wastegate, and now its doing 14 psi on WG pressure. With it tuned totally optimally, a 12.0 spool up and mid 11s WOT, it doesnt hit fuel cut when its cold out, so its literally right on the line, if I ever see it dip into 10.9 it fuel cuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX68Ysd9LRw
I dont have an odometer but Id guess Ive got a good 200 miles on it so far, been daily'ing it, rain or shine, its been nice and dependable, exhaust cutout is working so loud or quiet, whatever Im in the mood for. My best ET in this car so far is 13.44@106 which is street tires burning through 2nd, Expect that to change very soon. Were going to Redding, CA for a race this weekend, Ill be driving there/back so clutch will be broke in by then, Im gonna test my fate on some sticky tires and see if I can give my dad a good run in his 69 camaro, which ran a 12.00@107. I know for a fact I will out trap him lol the question is can I 60ft close enough to his 1.5s without breaking something, enough to take the win :) Im actually pretty confident, the car is an absolute beast, if the road is cold, and DRY, it spins 3rd gear. Thats with taller 3.72 gears, and 235 tires. Thats another plus, no more 4-5 shift at the drags like the 4.10 gears made me do :) Stay tuned for either a winning timeslip or carnage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9JHMmCDJss

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Great job, man.
On the MAFT, does it help your fuel cut if you set a frequency clamp?
Mine didn't seem to make much difference.

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
supraguy@aol;2028281 said:
Great job, man.
On the MAFT, does it help your fuel cut if you set a frequency clamp?
Mine didn't seem to make much difference.

Supposedly this MAFT has a FCD built in, which maybe its doing something, because I was able to see boost fall off before any fuel cut on the stock CT at like 15 psi, and this one is doing 14 psi before it hits it occasionally, but its not like MAFT Pro where I can set a clamp and all that good stuff :)

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Wellllll....good news is nothing broke, and I made pretty decent power, bad news is my slicks I got are shit! Never hooked all night, got my best 60 ft on the street tires I came in on....Camaro beat me by over a full second, yes I out trapped and was closing in but it was really no contest when youre .5 slower on 60ft. Until next time! best was 13.3@113.8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdOzcf1EJ8Q

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
And todays update is all about....SPOOL. This first holset setup was throwing things on, and seeing how it went. Now this time everything is refined... First was going from a 18.5cm housing to a 12cm, that I got for $60 :)

Then, on the T3-T4 adapter, going to twin scroll, and welding in a divider plate

Ported down/resurfaced

Then of course port matching everything

This is a wastegated housing, which means the outlet is moved back about an inch, this actually messed with my downpipe placement quite a bit, had to cut/reweld quite a few places.

And the results...dramatic
Went from 4500-4600 full spool in 3rd, to 3500-3600... Moved my powerband 1k sooner, its a little quieter is the only downside but oh well, thing is quite an animal, spins the 245s in 3rd, in the dry. Thanks for reading! Better track times to come

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
So first thing this go around was.... getting rid of my fuel situation. Having an inline pump, and no pickup sock, I resorted to an inline coarse filter before the pump, which would clog about ONCE A WEEK, and had to service it, pump was super noisy except the day it was cleaned. Got an 84 tank

Which after comparing tanks, looks like just filler neck and pump hangar are different. Went to an in tank 255hp pump

Nice and quiet pump now its fantastic
So this was a big day today. There were both a drift comp as well as drag racing opening day. I thought "do I dare?"
After some thought and prep since this is my daily right now, I made it happen. First was a cruise.

So drove to drift comp, switched tires

So first time drifting after the changes of-clutch, 3.7 Weir LSD, holset turbo. Thoughts are it does have a touch more lag, but when boost hits its a freaking beast. The LSD is smooth as silk, I can't believe how perfect it is. Doesn't chatter but always 2 tires when you need it. I still desperately need suspension and steering mods, thing was hard to control but eventually got the hang of it, did about 8 laps, going through 3 pairs of tires. Only issue was tire detreaded and pulled a wheel flare out, but drill and zip ties it was just fine.

So after running out of tires... the 17s went back on, off to the drags

And my 1/4 results...

So at the start of this long journey, I said I wanted at least low 13s on stickies and 300whp, and then beat up on the 240SXs and such drifting. Well I pretty much own the straight end and surpassed those goals, I walked a 1UZ Cressida like he wasn't even trying on the freeway, but I need more steering angle and suspension, the drifting of this car needs work. That definitely needs to go on my list asap.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Those are some strong numbers, especially that trap speed. That's some good power to weight ratio. Which brand of slicks are you running?

Oh yeah, it's really cool to see your son go from laying in a playpen, to walking, to attending your drifting/ drag sessions. The years go by fast, and you don't get them back. Looks like you're doing a good job spending lots of time with him.

Last edited: