1 Fuel Pump or Two?

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
What is more beneficial? Having one large fuel pump or having two smaller ones the same size? Where is a good place for the second fuel pump if I were to go with two? If a fuel pump is rated at 255 lph then that should be all it can do right? How does a second one with the same rating help pump more? I'm guessing with two pumps it's eisier to move the fuel than it is for one. Is this better than one pump with a higher rating?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
when you exceed the flow of one pump you need a larger pump (to my knowlege there isn't a cheap larger internal pump thats worht upgrading to) so most people go dual walbro pumps.. others go to a single external pump..

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
tissimo said:
when you exceed the flow of one pump you need a larger pump (to my knowlege there isn't a cheap larger internal pump thats worht upgrading to) so most people go dual walbro pumps.. others go to a single external pump..

But what is better?

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
That is up for debate.. both work fine.. its up to you which you want to do.. Many people run dual pumps fine and same with single externals..

What Van Diesel is referring to (I think) is have a single intank pump run into a surge tank (like a 1 gal second fuel tank) from there run a single external pump to the rail.

Van Diesel