1.5JZ + Standlone - Batch spark/fuel or Sequential?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Just wondering, i believe the stock 1J system is batch fire, what are the advantages of going to sequential and can it be done with the stock 1J Igniter & Coils?

I'm looking at going with a MS3 and it has the capability to do Sequential. Just looking for facts not opinions. Thanks!

zoppii

Pro Lurker
May 21, 2007
Palm Harbor
Advantages are tuning is a little more predictable and stable, energy is conserved for the coil that needs it, coil life, ....... I'm sure there are other reasons but you get the idea. You can use the coils and igniter but you have to run separate wires for each coil and override the branching that occurs in the harness that groups them in pairs.
To find the most relate-able information if you search for 1JZ running on 2JZ ecu I'm sure you'll run across the information that helped me out when I needed to do the conversion for a friend. It's pretty straight forward actually.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IBoughtASupra;1639212 said:
I believe IJ said that you will have smoother idle as he did on his 7M with 272's.

My Cam's were 280's ;)

Batch fire on IGN isn't a big deal if you're using 6 coils/6 igniters, even on twin post coils it's marginal as the side firing the dead cylinder doesn't dwar very much current as there's no cylinder pressure.

Sequential on Injection makes a HUGE difference if you're running Large Injectors and idle quality/drivability is important to you.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
IJ.;1639213 said:
My Cam's were 280's ;)

Batch fire on IGN isn't a big deal if you're using 6 coils/6 igniters, even on twin post coils it's marginal as the side firing the dead cylinder doesn't dwar very much current as there's no cylinder pressure.

Sequential on Injection makes a HUGE difference if you're running Large Injectors and idle quality/drivability is important to you.

ahh, i see... i don't have large injectors, but i may look into doing it for the future if need be. thank you all for your input.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
well 1j is seq ignition anyhow but...

for my personal use I run batch on injectors because install is faster and it's fine with smallish injectors :) But yeah full seq is handy for a number of reasons. Sometimes you need an individual cylinder trim. On jz adding a little on number 6 is common. Strictly speaking on idle quality I like batch ignition but not with a smart igniter and small coils like jz. Those little guys need lots of dwell and firing the TT igniter (smart igniter) batch means cutting dwell. Running them in batch with a dumb igniter like dh61 or 300zx or whatever would be a better choice.