1.5 JZ Stock Twins Question

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Would 400 hp be attainable on a 1.5 JZ with stock twins with upgraded intercooler, y-pipe, and DP? This would be running within the CT12a safe daily driver limits, not a one time dyno pull at 17-18 psi.

Last edited:

jbsupra89t

Achieving Balance...
Mar 30, 2005
NJ
crank or rear wheel...? Crank I would definitely think it's possible IMO, RW, eh...

-J

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
Yeah for sure. People are hitting 400 on a 1JZ with good mods and tuning on stock twins. Definitly possible with a 1.5JZ, spool on the stock twins would be crazy sick. Like a supercharger, haha.

1JZ.747

Feb 20, 2006
australia
Spaniard said:
Yeah for sure. People are hitting 400 on a 1JZ with good mods and tuning on stock twins. Definitly possible with a 1.5JZ, spool on the stock twins would be crazy sick. Like a supercharger, haha.

i disagree with that.

in australia no one has made any where near 400 rwhp with factory twin turbos. even with cams, plenum, ecu injectors and race fuel. 340 rwhp is about the highest mark any one here has made.

400 rwhp will require upgrading twins or a single.

JDM CRESS

Jun 29, 2005
brooklyn, ny
i heard about a mk3 in florida made about 373 to the wheels. it was on 18lbs, fmic, stock y pipe, fp, fpr, greddy emanage, & some c-16.

theres a mx83 cressida with 1jz 5spd in nyc, with just fmic, 3" exhaust, fpr, stock ypipe, and standalone system, (i dont remember the name of the system though) made just about 380 to the wheels. car pulls pretty damn hard for 2 peanut-sized turbos!

i have no doubts that with upgraded ypipe, 3" exhaust, fmic, proper fuel setup, 18psi & some good tuning, 350+ would be no prob. but 400 would be pushing it. im certainly not doubting that its impossible. but come to think of it, i dont think there are too much 1j guys out there who had hp goals for there stock twins. most guys probably lost interest in them and just switched to single. ur definately gonna need some kind of stand alone or piggy back system to tune every kink out of that 1j if you wanna see close to 400.

u should holla at 1JZ.747 for that microtech.

as soon as i fix my stock jzx90 harness to work with my cressida, ill be looking to sell it to someone doing a 1j swap in a cressida so i can use that money for the microtech.

daniel

1JZ.747

Feb 20, 2006
australia
1.5jz or 1jz wont matter buddy, they are small and can only flow so much air.

you could put them on a 8 litre chev, they will still on flow the same amount of air.

its all about air into and out of the head.

bascially the answer to your question is no, they are to small to flow enough air to make 400hp at the tyres.

p.s. on a 3.0 litre bottom end, you will have full boost by 2800 rpm, so the next 4500rpm are going to be a waste of time.

your power will be great in the low rev range area and torque. but mid to high will be like driving a granny mobile.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
Are you guys kidding me!? On supraforums, there are guys making 400 with stock twins. I would post a like but Supraforums is down right now. Besides the fact that many people in Japan have done it already. It's real tough, but very do-able.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
If it's very tough but "do-able" then why would you do it in the first place?

#1: Because you like to ruin CT-12A turbochargers
#2: Because you are too cheap to upgrade your turbochargers
#3: Because you are dumb enough to spend a bunch of money on other mods and not pay attention to volume of airflow incoming to the manifold.

If you have enough money for other modifications, you have enough money to upgrade your turbochargers. It's not brain surgery, either..

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Spaniard said:
Are you guys kidding me!? On supraforums, there are guys making 400 with stock twins. I would post a like but Supraforums is down right now. Besides the fact that many people in Japan have done it already. It's real tough, but very do-able.

whp? i don't think so, the highest ive seen is around 375whp.

csnow

Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
drunk_medic said:
If it's very tough but "do-able" then why would you do it in the first place?

#1: Because you like to ruin CT-12A turbochargers
#2: Because you are too cheap to upgrade your turbochargers
#3: Because you are dumb enough to spend a bunch of money on other mods and not pay attention to volume of airflow incoming to the manifold.

If you have enough money for other modifications, you have enough money to upgrade your turbochargers. It's not brain surgery, either..

Listen "drunk medic", I am not here to be insulted by you. Why is it that people must insult others who ask a question?

However, I will answer your insults. No, I am not too cheap to upgrade the turbos. Not that it matters, but to prove a point, I have a Greddy T67 kit for the 7M that I could transplant to the engine with the purchase of a 1J manifold. The reason I was asking about keeping the twins is that there is not a quality manifold for the 1J readily available in the US and finding the HKS twins is difficult. My end goal is to have a reliable daily driver in the 400 range. If the twins could get me there , why change them? That was the reason for the post. Just a simple question that required no insults from you. Now it is apparent the twins can't reach that goal, so end of discussion.

You should not assume that your audience on this forum is a young, immature, high school/college student like on other Supra forums. You, of all people, should not be insinuating that I am cheap or of limited finances. If I recall correctly, are you not the one with a box of 2J parts lying around because you are in the military, awaiting ETS, living paycheck to paycheck, while trying to complete a project that you probably never had the financial resources to start in the first place?

And yes, I know what it is like living pay check to paycheck in the service. I am a Army veteran (7 years), got out as an E-6 in 1994 after getting hurt in Special Forces, went to college, and now make a very comfortable living with a family of five. So calling me cheap, dumb,...etc is uncalled for and unsubstantiated. Why don't you just keep your comments to yourself, grow up, and get your project finished sometime this decade.

For the rest of the great members on this forum, as always......thanks for your comments, patience, and input.

Last edited:

JDM CRESS

Jun 29, 2005
brooklyn, ny
i wont lie, i would love to stay twin as well. but it just seems way too expensive to do it. (at least for me at that matter) i went for a ride in a 1jz on stock twins making almost 380 to the wheels and it was really impressive. it was just dead upstairs. those hks twins would pretty wicked on a daily driven 1j. especially cuz there supposed to be stock replacements, but with the cost of that setup, you can easily go with a big single make way more power. like what was said millions of times, the ct12a's just cant take the pressure. i've read a couple of threads on the forums about places that can rebuild the ct12a's to last.

from what i'm told by many members when i first started doin my lil research on the stock twins, they'll be enuff to beat up on most of the guys im tryin to deal with in my area. its just that realiability is problem as i plan to run 15-18psi daily. (im running that kind of boost just for the simple fact that i've had my car parked for 2 yrs, and im not about to baby my car when its out :evil2: )

i say hunt down the hks twins. im curious to see how far that setup can take you.

daniel

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I dont think the stock twins will do it.. at least without any reliability...

I am thinking about swapping a 1jz into my other supra, and MAYBE (if i keep the car) once the stock twins blow i will try out a twin S14 SR t28s on there (not exactly sure on the spcs of becauseican is running but, gt28R, so probably very comprable to the sr t28s, housings are probably different though, and exhaust wheel?).. On a 1.5 JZ twin T28s would be a fast spool fun car.. They will max out at around 550-600 whp (going by what people w/ sr are getting 275-300whp).. Might be something to look into, but then again, you have the greddy T67, so why buy two turbos and fab up manifolds/ buy some manifolds when you can just use what you have?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
csnow said:
Listen "drunk medic", I am not here to be insulted by you. Why is it that people must insult others who ask a question?

However, I will answer your insults. No, I am not too cheap to upgrade the turbos. Not that it matters, but to prove a point, I have a Greddy T67 kit for the 7M that I could transplant to the engine with the purchase of a 1J manifold. The reason I was asking about keeping the twins is that there is not a quality manifold for the 1J readily available in the US and finding the HKS twins is difficult. My end goal is to have a reliable daily driver in the 400 range. If the twins could get me there , why change them? That was the reason for the post. Just a simple question that required no insults from you. Now it is apparent the twins can't reach that goal, so end of discussion.

You should not assume that your audience on this forum is a young, immature, high school/college student like on other Supra forums. You, of all people, should not be insinuating that I am cheap or of limited finances. If I recall correctly, are you not the one with a box of 2J parts lying around because you are in the military, awaiting ETS, living paycheck to paycheck, while trying to complete a project that you probably never had the financial resources to start in the first place?

And yes, I know what it is like living pay check to paycheck in the service. I am a Army veteran (7 years), got out as an E-6 in 1994 after getting hurt in Special Forces, went to college, and now make a very comfortable living with a family of five. So calling me cheap, dumb,...etc is uncalled for and unsubstantiated. Why don't you just keep your comments to yourself, grow up, and get your project finished sometime this decade.

For the rest of the great members on this forum, as always......thanks for your comments, patience, and input.

Most people with any knowledge of the 1JZ will tell you that the turbochargers are a "weak spot". Push them for too hard, for too long, and they are going to die on you. If you have the cash to spend on rebuilds or replacements, go ahead. Some people report that 1 bar is fine for the CT-12A. Some say 16+psi is fine. Some have blown their turbochargers at these levels. If you have a goal to shatter some turbines then go ahead. I wasn't trying to insult you - I was trying to give warning to anyone foolhardy enough to push their CT-12A's hard enough for 400hp, wheel OR crank. If you want to take the insult personally, then it's all for you.
I have boxes of 2JZ parts that I am not using because I can't afford to "do it right". That's right - not because I am cheap. It's because I don't have the money to do things THE RIGHT WAY right this moment. I'm keeping the parts because I'm not a quitter. If I was cheap, I'd have a 2JZ installed in my car half-assed right now. Hell, I might even have a once-was 400whp 1JZ with a set of ruined turbochargers from my ONE run measured on a dynamometer - where my turbines decided to shatter.

I really do not care that you are a vet, or were special forces. I've been in for almost 9 years, and over 7 of those have been working for AFSOC. I have no sympathy except for the paycheck. The rest is not relevant. What is relevant here is that I am trying to help people save time and money. I am sorry if you felt that I was unfair and insulted you.

csnow

Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
So are you Airforce or Army? Why have you not become a member of SOCOM i.e SF or PJ..instead of supporting them? Maybe I overreacted and I accept your apology. I think there was one in there :) Are you on jump status or HALO qualified? Yeah, military pay is bad...but I do miss the people and the mission. God speed to ya!

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
If only I still had my dyno sheets to scan through so you guys can see that I hit 402 hp on stock twins. And it is unfortunate that on Supraforums, the forums dont go far back enough to get the few people that have hit the 400hp mark. My motor is being rebuilt as we speak (oil pump went out at 6K rpm's) and when it's ready I'll have it running those numbers again, as soon as I get all the electronics worked out with emanage control.

I know its pushing the stock twins to the limit and more, but when you ask the twins to do it on good tuning and for a short period of time, it's not that big a deal. Its stupid yes, but when you cant afford a single turbo and dont care about the twins going on you. You just say, "F*ck it!" and you boost is addicting, you just push it, and see if it does it.

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
The other day I hit fuel cut(boost spike) and on my Blitz SBC-iii it read 414hp at 15.9psi? I would have to check again how many lbs it was for sure. Those numbers must be crank though. My car isn't tuned nor does it have upgraded fuel yet. If theres interest I will take pics. Before I go single or with a twin set-up, I would love to see how much hp I can push out of those stockers :evil2:

Last edited: