87 N/A vs. 89 240SX

snafu5962

HONDA HATER
Apr 6, 2005
southern pa
I own a '87 Supra with the 7M-GE 5-spd in it. The only mods i have are intake & exhaust at this point. My friend has a '89 240SX with the KA24E 5-spd in it. He has headers, full 3 inch catback w/4 inch muffler, advanced timing, short shift kit, LSD, lowered perfomance suspension, and an intake on it.

My friend is always telling me how my Supra can beat his 240 and i just couldnt see how this is possible when mine is nearly bone stock and his car has all of this done, he is a great driver, and the car is as light as a feather! So i decided to race him but we could never find time to....untill tonight!

We went back in an industrial park and raced. We did the 3 honks and go thing. By accident i spun all the way through first and 1/2 way through 2nd. Then due to my POS clutch, the clutch spun for a while when i was changing from 3rd to 4th! Let me tell u guys....and im not lieing either: ever since my car was in motion i pulled on him soo bad it was pathetic how bad my big POS '87 N/A spanked him! I love my car now....i have so much more respect for it and i am even more siked to restore it and drop the GTE in her!

ShagsSupra

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Wilmington NC
My brother HAD a 91 240sx automatic vs my automatic NA, I pulled him by a car, I had just a filter and he had advanced timing, exaust, intake, some other crap... but after he got a rebuild/port and polish he walked me by 2 cars in 2nd and pulled on 3-4 after that.

this was about 2 years ago tho lol.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
nice kill.
yes put the GTE in it or do 1/2NA-T.
GOD I cant wait for BOOST.
i hate all u Boostin people make me so mad.
but when i start to boost ill be the same way. o yea.

BOOST.
bitches.

snafu5962

HONDA HATER
Apr 6, 2005
southern pa
yea im planning on the 7M-GTE swap :bowdown: but am now considering the 1JZ-GTE swap :icon_conf im not sure yet. I def. need the swap though because i pulled my lugs out today and they were soaked in oil! And the car smokes a lil here and there so i know the rings are shot. :rant2: I probably wont race too many more times on this motor until i get the new motor ready to put in because this is still my daily driver. Thanks for the complements guys it was a really fun race!

ShagsSupra

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Wilmington NC
snafu5962 said:
yea im planning on the 7M-GTE swap :bowdown: but am now considering the 1JZ-GTE swap :icon_conf im not sure yet. I def. need the swap though because i pulled my lugs out today and they were soaked in oil! And the car smokes a lil here and there so i know the rings are shot. :rant2: I probably wont race too many more times on this motor until i get the new motor ready to put in because this is still my daily driver. Thanks for the complements guys it was a really fun race!

sell and buy another mk3 turbo save yourself the time and the money. specily if the car looks like it could be on pimp my ride. 1/2na-t is only good for so much HP and I feel myself it would just tease me and leave me boost addicted and want more and end up blowing it.... full swap is money consuming when mk3's can had for cheap, the only problem here is lack of them floating around lol, I say you either rebuild your mk3 ad daily drive it and buy another mk3 turbo and save yourself ALOT of trouble, if not just sell yours and then buy another, if you wanna do swaps get a mk2 and put a 7mgte in it, then you will have somthing that goes and will walk from a 240sx hard near stock. there 500-600 pounds lighter I belive :)
(id love to have a mk2 7mgte, there is 1 here in town that runs 12's but wont get online cause hes computer iliterate (sp?).

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
my friend also has 89 240 but he's stock and im gte w/ intake and dp. so when he does a flyby when im stil at the red light it took less than your average block to pass him. he was doing a good 30mph me 0 and i still took him that quick, he hates me so much. all i can say is those cars handle so beuitifuly, omg he could not get the back tires to spin in this empty parking lot he just had all fours in a tight circle at like 40 and barely heard a skip.

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
could it be cuz that 240 has a 3" exhaust on a non turbo car and is losing backpressure? lol

nice kill either way, always good to hear NA's beating someone up

snafu5962

HONDA HATER
Apr 6, 2005
southern pa
I cant get rid of my Supra man....i paid $800 for it and i love doing body work. the interior is immaculate and thats good because i am good at bodywork but when it comes to interior im lost. the swap sounds simple, cheap, and painless.

and my friend has the 3in on his car because at one time he was going to turbo the KA but instead he decided to take his blown up 240 which came with a 3in and SR20DET swap it. He is in the process right now and it will be done on sat.

S

shadowwolfsupra

beat a 96 honda hatch 2 weeks ago that had a b18 that was turbo charged, still pulled hard as hell with my N/A on him which only has a new set of bullfrog cams from Gude that I got from SupraSport, 2 1/2 in pipe with no cats, and a K&N intake. I will tell you all this, im automatic with the A340E transmission and its sick to know that what those cams did for my car. even though I blew the doors on the hatch by maybe 10 car lenths, its even sicker to know that the N/A motor with those cams can even have the car stay up with an 03 cobra. if you are looking for a good way to upgrade for allot of horsepower the easy way instead of boosting your N/A block, get these cams, its well worth it. I haven't dyno'ed the car yet but right now im taking a hard guess that it could be in the 400-450 range.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
shadowwolfsupra said:
beat a 96 honda hatch 2 weeks ago that had a b18 that was turbo charged, still pulled hard as hell with my N/A on him which only has a new set of bullfrog cams from Gude that I got from SupraSport, 2 1/2 in pipe with no cats, and a K&N intake. I will tell you all this, im automatic with the A340E transmission and its sick to know that what those cams did for my car. even though I blew the doors on the hatch by maybe 10 car lenths, its even sicker to know that the N/A motor with those cams can even have the car stay up with an 03 cobra. if you are looking for a good way to upgrade for allot of horsepower the easy way instead of boosting your N/A block, get these cams, its well worth it. I haven't dyno'ed the car yet but right now im taking a hard guess that it could be in the 400-450 range.
:umno:
:bsflag:

i cant even begin to explain how wrong this is. you're saying that cams, exhaust, and an intake got you from 200 crank HP to 400+ HP. no way. not possible.

-shaeff

S

shadowwolfsupra

like I said, I got to dyno the car and find out where im at. its just a rough guess thats all. I also forgot to mention that i also port and polished the heads when I first got the motor so, once I find out where im at, I will let you all know.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
shadowwolfsupra said:
like I said, I got to dyno the car and find out where im at. its just a rough guess thats all. I also forgot to mention that i also port and polished the heads when I first got the motor so, once I find out where im at, I will let you all know.

CT, were is the BS police.
:umno: , i own an NA, the car Brand new when it rolled off the lot was not pushing 210hp, and a 15 year old car is really not pushing that even. the Turbo'ed NAs make like 250 MAX hp. so im going to have to tell you srry u got like 210-220 HP.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
D34DC311 said:
CT, were is the BS police.
:umno: , i own an NA, the car Brand new when it rolled off the lot was not pushing 210hp, and a 15 year old car is really not pushing that even. the Turbo'ed NAs make like 250 MAX hp. so im going to have to tell you srry u got like 210-220 HP.
Yeah N/as are just slow U would have to have done some serious modifcation to it.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i dont even think that dean marcum was making that much on his N/A. i dont even think Defiant7m is making that much... they both had/have WAY more than cams.

-shaeff

L

lanky189

LMAO.... AHAHAHAHAHA

o...where you serious about that shadowwolfsupra?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Not really surprised a Supra can take a SOHC 240SX, even my 115hp Corolla can keep up with them pretty good, and if they're not running in top shape, I can take them.

My Corolla used to have more power when it was new too, you can feel it's a bit slower after 19 years.

S

shadowwolfsupra

maybe you guys are right, but it still surprises me though that my car can stay up with a cobra. I remember that the block that I got in the car now came from a 91 MK3 that was jdm. but was funny about it is that when i first got it, it had more punch to it than I expect it. The guy that sold it to me gave me a good price for it but told me that it was somewhat of a special 7m at its own right. I knew when i got it, it already had a head gasket in there and the heads where ported. Now since there is some major speculation on this, im debating now if I should take the entire block apart and find out if there is something more to the block than it looks. hell, the exhaust alone sounds more throatier than the average 7m N/A, now this is getting me in the urge to take the block apart. i will let you all know next week whats up with this motor.