Sport Roof Conversion????

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Has anyone ever converted a hard-top mkiii to sportroof? I see alot of junked mkiii's with sport roofs that I could buy for next to nothing. Since the sunroof in my 87 could use replacing I have been wondering how big a hassle it would be to go ahead and buy a sport roof (and all related hardware on the donor car) and cut my roof to fit. Do the sportroof cars have any extra bracing under the car or at the windshield frame to compensate for whatever rigidity the car looses as a result of the missing piece of roof? Surely someone has attempted this before...Right?

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
image0782jk.jpg

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Ok, I could see the desire to cut off the targa, and graft on a hardtop, but going the other way around, is just sick and wrong. :)

Targa's leak, creak and flex. I've had mine off like 3 times in about 11 years of owning this car. Two of the times were for about 10 min. The other time, I was on back roads, and only going about 15mph. It was fun then, but at anything over 15mph, the wind buffet gives me a headache in short order. (About 10 min.)

The Targa does have a rocker insert to add structure, and other panels are added inside of the car unibody to try and compensate for the missing roof. (Things like pins for the doors to the C posts, and more layers of metal as mentioned.)

What every Targa needs is a Hardtop.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
The sun roof removes valuable head room, but if your vertically chalanged, it would be a nice option. (The tilt and slide back stock one was a nice design.)

That would be a cool upgrade to a early model MK3. Find a good factory sunroof and switches/wires and graft it onto a Targa car. (Just section in the roof at the A posts and quarter sails. I'd go down about 4" from the edge of the windshield glass, and then sleave the A post. For the rear, I'd try and use as much of the factory roof to sail seam as possible, but replace the whole rear header where the hatch is attached. (This would also replace the whole front header where the windshield resides.)

You would need the right trim, and weatherstrip too.

LOL @ IJ, I've actually thought about removing sections of the weather strip, adding metal to close up the gap, and then urethane setting the targa firmly into place like you would a windshield or other urethane set glass. (Except the targa would be bolted into place too.) The urethane would really make the struture as tight as possible, and you can paint it as well.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
I would love to put a removable peice of glass in my targa... I rode in my friends MR2 with T Tops that are glass. It was great.

Although during the summer my top is only on at night, and during the rain :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Adjuster: That would work really well!

Even just using the Silicone has gotten rid of a lot of squeaks/leaks/noise but I still have to check the bolts from time to time! (where's that bottle of loctite?) :)

I only bought my Targa cos it was 5K under market at the time and I couldn't pass up a deal like that!

trdmk3supra

LVNBSTLFE
Mar 31, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
:nono: Yo man I thought about doing the sme to my 86.5 and making it a targa top but later decided not worthit and besides I can run more horsepower and also buy som of those jdm rain gaurds. So man no don't do it and it is not worht it imo just saying :nono:

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
I remember someone said they could do it for around $800. That includes reinforements for the loss of stabiltiy.

Anyhow, like it has been mentioned, don't do it.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
You are not enjoying your targa to it's fullest. Geez.. there were times in the summer than I WOULD NOT put the top on unless it was raining. I live in Florida, so it's a given. Still, I never use my AC. There's no need. In Florida, you live in the heat anyways - why not take the top off, put the windows down and cruise? It'll cool you down.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
WOW! I didn't realize hardtops are so rare. Now that I think of it you don't see many. For the people that suggested I get a sunroof, read the thread I already have one. But as I said I'm gonna replace it...anybody have any suggestions on what brand is a good one. I currently have an ASC glass moonroof (slide back/tilt) but it's tough to get parts for and I thought best to just replace it. Thanks for your comments, all you guys have been tremendously helpful on this and all the threads I've submitted. I'd have stepped on my dick many times if it hadn't been for the wisdom and experience of Supramania members. :icon_bigg

Last edited:

MKIIITrbo89

Mar 31, 2005
West Chester PA
I agree with suprarcr89. The must haves when I bought my car where manual, targa, and turbo. Without the targa the car would not nearly be as fun to drive. There is nothing like cruising on a nice sunny day with the targa off. Supras were meant to be topless.