Stock IC pipe - too restrictive? Absolutely!

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I decided today that I was sick of the stock IC pipe that goes through the fenderwall.

So, a quick trip to Home Depot later, I have a length of 2" galvanized electrical conduit, plus 2 crush bent 90 degree bends, for a total cost of about $30 CDN.

About 2 hours later, I have put together a new IC pipe that runs from the 3000 pipe diagonally to the snorkel hole, through that and down to the IC. This was remarkably easy to put together... I only needed a sharp razorblade, a sharp hacksaw, and a bunch of extra 2.5 inch hose clamps.

Out for a test run.

I had my boost set to just under fuel cut, even when power shifting from 1st to second with the old setup. I get the car warmed up and drop the hammer... and run smack into FC in a big way. 3rd, 4th, and 5th all cut. Hell, 2nd will cut if I go from decel to accel hard.

So... at the same boost level, this quickie mod obviously flows significantly more air than that awful twisted mess that went through the fender. I'll have to turn the boost down some more!

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
nice price for a quick/cheap do it yourself fix! got some pics? i was thinking of doing something simaler for a short while after i saw a shelf of crush bends and piping at a canadian tire.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
Yo jackie... thanks for the update Captain obvious!!! lol j/k

yeah, that and the aluminum elbow on the hot pipe bolted to the fender are the TWO biggest restrictions on the IC system.. aside from teh 3k pipe and the ic itself.

my buddy did the PVC pipe mod and was hitting fuel cut with NO boost controller at all. stock WG spring. he thought there was a leak in the PVC and started replacing the PVC with stock sections one at a time and it only went away when all stock pieces were back on... crazy eh?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I can take some pics - last night would have been pretty pointless, pics just don't turn out well without daylight.

I don't think others could use my exact routing, the MAFT gives me some extra room to work with near the snorkel hole.

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
Thanks Home Depot! Is it anything like this? hee hee I'll have to give Brian Morris the credit for this one.

p3245_1.jpg

p3245_2.jpg

Last edited:

ladmo

Apr 4, 2005
Home Depot is the shit! Who wants to pay $150 for the lower intercooler pipes when you can pay 7 bucks at Home Depot :D

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
I see what you mean, I don't think I'd be able to do it the same as your setup, would be nice though!

Last edited:

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
supra_ozzie said:
Thanks Home Depot! Is it anything like this? hee hee I'll have to give Brian Morris the credit for this one.

Wait.... Is THAT what your engine looks like?!
drool1.gif

You're forgiven for bringing the Scoupe to the meet!
shiner.gif

Kroze: He's using the MAFT and a GM MAF of some sort.

supra_ozzie

86.5 HC NA/T
Apr 4, 2005
Burnaby
Too Funny! I'm gonna take it out 4X4ing tonight, puttin on the mudders for ya! As for the Scoupe, I promise not to bring it next time but it's a real powerhouse at 115hp, lol!

p3751_1.jpg

Last edited: