Car doesn't stay on

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
My problem: The car was missing at idle, and also stalling after stopping at a stop sign.

I bought an ISC off of a list member, cleaned it and installed it. I also have new spark plugs (it was time) and new coil packs (one was bad). I took off my TPS and cleaned that too. I made sure the voltage and amps for the coil packs, TPS, and ISC were all OK.

I took apart a lot of parts to do all this and to get to the CPS and the timing belt. The timing belt looked fine. The CPS looked fine. I lined up the CPS and the timing belt as per the TSRM. I re-installed everything and hours later started the car. It cranked and turned over but only reached about 400 RPMs and then just died. I can't get it to stay on.

I am getting no codes (Super Monitor says "ENG-OK").

If the timing is off or the CPS is off shouldn't some code be produced? It seems there isn't a category for this type of issue?

Any ideas on what to try next?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
hey sal-

check your afm and wiring... sometimes it could be bad and not throw a code...

after that i would check fuel supply...

if the car is starting but dying shortly after it might be getting starved of fuel...

good luck man

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Thanks for the help.

Could the timing be way off or the CPS cause this?

The AFM is brand new (Lexus).

I'll check the AFM electronics and the hoses again.

If the CPS is off by a tooth or so, will the car stay on?

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Brand new Lexus AFM? How much did that cost??? And yes if the CPS if off by a tooth it will run, but I would think you would notice if this were the case as it will idle very bad