Just weighed my Supra...

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
I finally found a scale locally that has a nice road leading to it so a Bob took his Nova and I took my Supra and weighed them both.

The 63, 2-dr hardtop Nova is still lighter, but not as much as we expected. The stock bodied Nova with 530/700R4 weighed in at 2,970 pounds.

My 90 hardtop Supra weighed in at 3,250 with the tank damn near empty. Also, this is with the TH-400 which weighs 130 pounds dry and holds 10+ quarts of trans fluid. I'm pretty happy as I think they weighed around 3,600 stock. If I'm correct on the 3,600 pound stock weight I've shed around 350 pounds from this car! If anyone knows the actual stock weight fill me in!

Oh, what broke you ask...I had the front end apart a few days back to do some fitting on a part I picked up...When I put it back together I was lazy and didn't put new foam tape on my blinker covers...On the way back from weighing the cars I got on it and the passenger cover blew off and broke where the screw goes through it! Dammit!! Guess I'll be hitting Kevin M. up for a replacement set sometime soon.

Last edited:
S

SupraSith

Of course I have to ask: what did you take out to achieve such a weight loss?

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
SupraSith said:
Of course I have to ask: what did you take out to achieve such a weight loss?

Things that cut weight...
Stock hood replaced with fiberglass cowl hood
Front seats replaced with Sparco Torino's
Rear seats removed
Windsheild washer resivoir removed
ABS removed
A/C removed
Cruise control removed
Stock fuel tank replaced with custom fuel cell in trunk
Sound deadener removed from floor
Bumper reinforcements removed
EGR removed
Aluminum driveshaft
Rear wiper motor/arm
All TEMS equipment
All Airbag Equipment
Stock steering wheel replaced with Sparco wheel
Rear speakers removed
Stock deck removed
Charcoal canister removed
Antennae leads removed
Power steering cooler removed
Stock radiator replaced with Fluidyne

There's probably more I can't think of right now.

Things that added weight, not much I'm sure though...
Stock gauge cluster replaced with custom cluster
Larger intercooler
Custom intercooler piping
5-speed replaced with TH-400
Stock wheels and tires replaced with 18 inch wheels and tires
Bomex side skirts molded to body
Larger oil cooler
Large trans cooler with fan
Stock clutch fan replaced with FAL's

Again, there's probably more I can't think of.

Not sure if they're lighter or not but I'm betting they are...
Stock springs replaced with Eibach's
Stock shocks replaced with Bilstein's

Last edited:

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
odd, i was looking at the sticker on the inside of the door and it says the GVWR is 4460. It's a targa but, that can't be right. I asked a friend and he said that GVWR was gross vehicle weight..somethin. 4460lbs can't be right then

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
esc said:
odd, i was looking at the sticker on the inside of the door and it says the GVWR is 4460. It's a targa but, that can't be right. I asked a friend and he said that GVWR was gross vehicle weight..somethin. 4460lbs can't be right then

I think the heaviest MKIII weighs like 3870. I may be wrong, but thats with turbo.. targa.. TEMS... abs... auto.. all the bells and whistles.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
crap, i need to weigh my car to find out how much the damn thing weighs. 92 turbo targa tems abs ac auto , yea every option you could get w/ the car excluding the headlight washers with extra 10% of vital fluids and full tank that i usually run with.

im still surprised that after stripping out so much stuff the car still weighs in at 3200+ we need to fab up some aluminum frames and drivelines.

S

SupraSith

How much can the TEMS weigh? I switched to Koni struts so I don't use it anyway.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
shocks might weight a little more than a non-adjustable shock, the 4 actuators together are maybe 4lbs. The wiring for the entire system is probably 5 lbs. The TEMS computer and console switch are probably another 5lbs.

So perhaps 15lbs.

Some of the often overlooked items that add up: rear wiper/motor, rear power antenna, speakers, deck, cord for antenna, front tow hooks, charcol cannister, fog lights, windsheild washer tank/pumps.

My Supra has started to get heavier with the addition of braces, but I hope to eventually remove the extra to dead connectors no longer used...

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Ok, Jeff just reminded me of some other things that are gone...

Rear wiper motor/arm
All TEMS equipment
All Airbag Equipment
Stock steering wheel replaced with Sparco wheel
Rear speakers removed
Stock deck removed
Charcoal canister removed
Antennae leads removed
Power steering cooler removed
Stock radiator replaced with Fluidyne

Added weight...
Larger oil cooler
Large trans cooler with fan
Stock clutch fan replaced with FAL's

...Just updated my previous list with the above things...

J

JerzeySlowpra

my car weighs 3200lbs with me in it, are you targa? or hardtop my cars a hardtop

no cruise control
rear speakers
plastics/spare tire/ wooden floor
all AC components
all sound deadening in the car
useless misc. brackets
foglights and everythign in the bumper are gone because of my front mount
no front bumper support
charcoal canister
back seat
back seat belts
back winshield washer motor and arm

i dunno what else i think thats it but i was in the car and had almost a full tank of gas 3200lbs

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
oneandgone said:
My 90 hardtop Supra weighed in at 3,250 with the tank damn near empty.
That's awesome !!

$pecialk91Turbo said:
I think the heaviest MKIII weighs like 3870.
That is very close.

I got mine on the scales a couple of months ago and with a full tank and me sitting in it, it came to a grand total of ...3900lbs. That was on a scale that had front axle and rear axle weighed separate and rounded to 10lb.

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
i think i may be part of the vast minority of supra owners who don't care how much their mkiii weighs. I don't race it, I don't autocross it, i just enjoy it for what it is good at from the factory. Lightening up a supra is like converting a civic to rwd to be a drift car or trying to make a competitive autocrosser out of a dodge dually - it is so much easier and cheaper to just start with something closer to what you want to end up with, like a 240sx or a miata

sorry for the rant

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Beh, I'm an old-school car guy. This is by far the newest car I've ever owned. My background is made up of multiple old Impalas, an El Camino, a LeMans wagon, etc...

I never had things like A/C and power windows and such so I don't miss them now. To me it's just like having one of my old hoopties in a way, except the Supra can corner! lol!

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
As for me, my purpose is to get accurate reading on my G-Tech RR.
Also, I have taken it to the autocross, but have no illusions of being competitive. I do it for the joy and experience the handling of my car :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
cwapface said:
i think i may be part of the vast minority of supra owners who don't care how much their mkiii weighs. I don't race it, I don't autocross it, i just enjoy it for what it is good at from the factory. Lightening up a supra is like converting a civic to rwd to be a drift car or trying to make a competitive autocrosser out of a dodge dually - it is so much easier and cheaper to just start with something closer to what you want to end up with, like a 240sx or a miata

sorry for the rant
Mine is so far overweight with the 2nd fuel system and water to air IC I just tip some more HP into it ;)!