Want to buy a "Chinese" / Ebay turbo?

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Hahahaha thanks for the laugh, it's enough incentive fo me to get a quality brand, although i secretly wonder how many cheap turbos they tested to get one to react in the way that one did.?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
wiseco7mgt;1347543 said:
Hahahaha thanks for the laugh, it's enough incentive fo me to get a quality brand, although i secretly wonder how many cheap turbos they tested to get one to react in the way that one did.?

It didn't take us long to find one. The Chinese compressor wheels are sub-par and like to explode quite frequently.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Real Holset turbo
bulls-holset01.jpg

Fake
Turbocharger-Holset.jpg

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
ForcedTorque;1565311 said:
So a real one uses an external gate, 1 less fin on the compressor wheel, has a metal tag, and an ink stamp on the housing?

Mainly on the HY35s HX35s and HX40s you look for the metal tag. Most holsets you find with have an internal wastegate its just that picture doesn't show one.
If you can't tell just post a picture of it in the turbocharger section and we can tell if it is or not.

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
holset are fairly cheap, so why would anyone buy a fake.. now if a holset was triple the price then it would be different. Ive a had a Evo 16g ebay fake on my truck for 20,000+ miles with no pproblems..

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
MDCmotorsports;1566915 said:
Gritz, it's not a matter of buying a fake to save money, it was the Chinese pushing into the American market trying to undermine Holset & Cummins Diesel warranty program.
oh, thats shitty.