Shock questions. (Durability/compatibility questions)

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
For all those common shocks, what spring rates go well with them or would go "decent" enough to not blow them quickly (kg/mm or lbs/in)? I'm trying to determine what lowering spring I should get to match with my current shocks (bilsteins), but maybe you could list other information on other shocks so people could look at this as a reference.

So, what spring rates can the following handle? (give ranges/estimates if you can, thanks)

Bilstein
KYB
Koni
Tokico HP

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
improved;1034852 said:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71011

This was my last question in the thread just made. Perhaps keeping multiple similar threads to a minimum will help the Subject Matter sub sections stay clean and informative.

Matt-

I saw that, which actually made me make this topic. Who's going to look for information on KYB/Tokico in a topic called "Bilstein vs Koni"? Not to mention this topic is right to the point, without having to search the whole topic for stuff like that.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
I don't have any information on any of the dampers on the list except for the Bilsteins.

And a lot of the lowering spring true rates are unknown. I know they have a range, but it does not tell you how the spring really behaves. Meaning a lowering spring rates at from 300-600lb/in could really be at 500-600lb/in for most of it's usable travel range. So it's really hard to say there. And it's just another reason why I don't like lowering springs.

So while this is a very good question, it's very hard to answer. But if you guys want to hunt down dyno plots for these different dampers for the car, then I will be glad to analyze them. And don't post pictures of plots for the dampers for another car, it won't be the same, at least it really shouldn't be the same, so it won't really tell me anything.

Tim

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
As I've said before, it's not just about the spring and the damper, the weight of the car plays into it. And you need to consider sway bars when picking spring rates. But just in general, off the shelf Bilsteins would work with springs from 400-700 for the front and 200-400 in the back, give or take a little.

My Bilstein setup can work with any spring rates, I modify the valving to work with the car and the springs.

Tim